Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Found old stormwater pipe - what to do?

Page 1 of 1
I have uncovered an old clay stormwater pipe while doing some work on my property.

I know that it comes from outside my property (it is definitely not connected to my house) and discharges at a point out the front of my property.

I can make an educated guess as to what house it is coming from, but don't know for sure. Council are not aware of the pipe so are not any help. Are there any recommendations on what I could to try find out for sure what house the pipe is connected to?
You could only do a pressurised smoke test at the exit but why do you want to know the pipe's origin?
I'm going to be planting a tree directly over the pipe. I will wrap the pipe it in geofabric to try and minimise any root ingress, however given it is an old clay pipe root ingress will be inevitable eventually.

I'm trying to find the house the pipe is connected to so I can do the right thing and tell the owner what is happening.

Who would you suggest I talk to about doing a pressurised smoke test?
Smoke tests are done by local water authorities to find illegal stormwater connections to sewer pipes and they look for the tell tale smoke arising from house gutters. Your local authority will be able to recommend someone who has the smoke pressure equipment.

I wouldn't be planting a tree over the pipe though. Tree roots create high matric suction which can lead to ground movement.
Thanks for your reply.

I understand how planting a tree over a sewer pipe that goes directly into the house could cause ground movement. However, if the tree is planted over a stormwater pipe that is coming from a house potentially 50 metres away, unless the tree was an established eucalypt or something similar I would have thought the potential for ground movement for both my hour and the house 50 metres away would have been minimal?
I was referring to ground movement possibly impacting on the pipe, not the house.

Pipes usually crack at the joins which is concrete in the case of clay pipes. If it is a stormwater pipe as it would appear to be because the exit is at the kerb, it won't be far under the surface but you have already seen it and know the depth. If the pipe isn't in use, then you could I assume rip the pipe up but if it is in use, then I would be hesitant to plant a tree on top of it but at the end of the day, you are the one who makes the decision.
That's my reason for trying to understand a bit more about it. Ideally the pipe isn't actually in use anymore and I can rip it up. Agree it's not ideal to plant over it if it is still in use.
Related
23/07/2023
Fixing cracked stormwater PVC pipe

General Discussion

Plumbers 'can be' plumbers, made all the worse by self certification which the building surveyor invariably accepts as proof of compliance! The good thing is that you know know.

1/04/2024
Lack of New Stormwater Pipe Bedding

General Discussion

Hi All! I have engaged a plumber to re-do the stormwater drainage system on my property which is mid-70s and had blocked/cracked clay pipe drains. The works has…

2/04/2024
Defects/Items found after final inspection

Building A New House

The significant date is when receive final payment invoice Check that section of contract Bit of fluff by builders prior to that

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum