Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Split Timber post on alfresco

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Thank you for reading my post and if you have similar experience, then please share it with me.

After my builder notified me that the frame stage, my inspector inspected the house and spotted that there is split timber post on my Alfresco. I asked my builder to replace the timber post, but they replied that the split does not effect the structural integrity of the post and therefore has not been defected by DJM Building Surveyors.

I wonder if this is safe to leave the timber post as it is or should I seek an advice on this?

Kind regards,
Peter
When you put photos up please include front, back and side elevations
Cheers

Sorry, I thought to upload this picture as well but it took too long so I didn't uploaded in the original post.
Why TF they used bolts that long who knows, morons.

Anyway the post should be fine. If they haven’t already put a couple of 4inch nails in to stop it splitting further then get them to or just do it yourself (and get the clown who chose those bolts to grind them off back to the nut if they haven’t already or don’t plan to).
Cloudcoach
Check with your Council building Surveyor, the builder will require
an Engineer to certify the structural adequacy of the post. BTW, it will be cheaper for him just to replace it.
Thanks for the photo usually they will just fill it in/cover it up and you are non the wiser.
Remember defects & non compliance diminishes potential insurance claims hth
Related
10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

27/06/2023
Alfresco pitch

Building A New House

Hello! I've alfresco pitch of 3 degrees sitting just below the highlight window. Need advice on below: 1. Will the 3 degree pitch be ok to drain the rain water? The roof…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum