Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Slab damage from excavator

Page 1 of 1
I am not sure if this is acceptable, so hoping to get some opinions.

Slab has been laid 7 days ago and I find out the below excavator has been all over the slab removing rocks from the site.

I have noted the following damage:
- scratches all over slab
- grooves / divots in masterbedroom where capital will be
- a few chipped edges of slab
- a broken pipe

Is it acceptable to scratch a slab with a metal catapiller style excavator after such as short time. Also, is it acceptable to have gashes in slab if the area is to be carpeted?
Does seem very odd behaviour.
I had precisely this happen when I built 20 years ago. I was not happy and complained to the builder. At the time I saw the damage the framer was there about to begin assembling the frame. I told him I was hesitant to go ahead with the framing without this issue being addressed and resolved. The builder's response to that conversation with the framer was that if I went onsite again and / or engaged with their tradies they would sue me. And that message was sent to me from the builder via my solicitor. This is a true story. Pleasant builder. And I wonder why 20 years later I am torturing myself by building again (not with that builder though!!).

Anyway, if it makes you feel better, despite the damage, it never impacted the house over it's life at all. After 20 years it was still perfect with zero issues, no cracks, no frame issues, no issues with windows, doors, brickwork, etc (apart from that of course). I'm still not totally convinced in my mind that it never mattered but I guess the proof is that you never would have known, even after 20 years.

I obviously cannot speak about your particular situation except to say that what I am seeing in your photos (including broken pipes) was precisely what my slab looked like.

Incidentally, my damage was also caused by the same type of equipment but in my case it was when the drainage was done. I'm not really sure how drainage is normally handled, but this plumber got into his excavator, drove it all over the slab including the edges in order to excavate for the drainage. But since your's is the only other example I have ever seen of this damage, I too wonder how common it is and - if mine was caused by the plumber, how other builders always seem to manage to avoid it.
Related
3/12/2023
How much damage to a house before insurance decide to settle

General Discussion

I thought this would be a popular question but I haven't been able to find any similar posts. Perhaps I'm wording my searches wrong? When you have car insurance and the…

15/01/2024
Water damage to new home

Building A New House

there was an event. The question is whether the builder had the insurance and whether the event was covered. The workmanship is a separate conversation.

27/02/2024
roof damage insurance claim

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

The workmanship is lifetime guarantee by "the insurer", not the builder. They will of course ask the initial builder to rectify and if they don't they will appoint…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum