Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Starting new build from scratch. Mernda Sloping land

Page 1 of 1
Well I am not really sure I am doing things the right way. The last few months we have started to put together our new build plans. We have spent 4 months trying to find a home we love and in the end have taken inspiration?? from everything and are working with a draftsman to create our modern dream home.
We have purchased our land in Fairview estate, Mernda. This brought us to our first problem, a 3 metre slope from rear right to front left, of cause we had no idea of all the extra costs involved needing a double retaining wall and a split level home.
We now have a drafted copy of our home plan and are pleased?? with the progress so far. I am hopping to hear from others in the same situation where unexpected issues have arisen around there builds and what else we might have to look forward to. I will attached a picture of the block and slope and hope to have a plan to show in the next week.

What is so unexpected about having retaining walls on a slope?

You either go for a split level and invest in retaining wall or you go for flat but invest more into cut & fill / excavation.

You can also consider Dincel for your retaining walls - it has a lot of advantages, does not require waterproof and generally comes super cheap in comparison to anything else. The only additional investment will be render, stone or paint finish for it.
its.just.sharon
Don't waste too much time finalising things and getting quotes until you get the engineering Done.HTH
alexp79
You can also consider Dincel for your retaining walls - it has a lot of advantages, does not require waterproof and generally comes super cheap in comparison to anything else. The only additional investment will be render, stone or paint finish for it.

As an Engineer I am skeptical of Marketing Spin and of Companies that don't put up Details, Calculations & Costs.
StructuralBIMGuy
alexp79

As an Engineer I am skeptical of Marketing Spin and of Companies that don't put up Details, Calculations & Costs.

Dincel as a company is well known in industry and has very serious reputation.
All the necessary engineering details and detailed costs comparison is readily available from their Web site.

E.g. here:

https://www.dincel.com.au/site/DefaultS ... -Walls.pdf
You are comparing Residential construction Class 1 with multistory apartment construction ?
Residential Masonry 2c -90mm Bricks (20 bricks/m2) M&L, Costs < $45/m2 hth
Hi its.just.sharon,

What direction does the block face? You're lucky, & have a nice wide frontage. This should mean that you should be able to build a week orientated house that is not overshadowed by neighbours. Getting the orientation of your home right plays a large part in increasing comfort while reducing energy bills.

Generally you want your living areas (& a large proportion of your glazing) to face north, minimising western windows.

This is called passive solar design. You can read more about it here,

http://yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation
ddarroch
Hi its.just.sharon,

What direction does the block face? You're lucky, & have a nice wide frontage. This should mean that you should be able to build a week orientated house that is not overshadowed by neighbours. Getting the orientation of your home right plays a large part in increasing comfort while reducing energy bills.

Generally you want your living areas (& a large proportion of your glazing) to face north, minimising western windows.

This is called passive solar design. You can read more about it here,

http://yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation

Hi, the house will be east facing, with minimal windows on the north side. we have decided to use double glazing in commercial frames. Hoping the house will be extremely efficent when it comes to heating and cooling. I see the main draw back in the ceiling height down stairs as we have decided to go 3 metre and up stairs 2.55.
Related
11/02/2024
Replicate render scratch pattern

General Discussion

Generally, the texture that you listed will have a 2mm size stone chip in it which is dragged with float to give the lines Any patch work needs to be 2mm less than face…

16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum