Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Asphalt Driveway - Durability?

Page 1 of 1
We are keen for an asphalt driveway on a new build we are hoping to commence soon (with concrete edging).

But we are concerned how this would look in 1, 5, 10 years time....

We love the look (and the price) but if there is issues using asphalt, we will just fork out more money for exposed aggregate.

Thoughts?
Agent_009
We are keen for an asphalt driveway on a new build we are hoping to commence soon (with concrete edging).

But we are concerned how this would look in 1, 5, 10 years time....

We love the look (and the price) but if there is issues using asphalt, we will just fork out more money for exposed aggregate.

Thoughts?

Gidday Agent_009

We're doing an asphalt driveway (starting tomorrow) and a lot of it
and come to think of it, we're not really bothered about what it would look like in 1...5 or even 10 years as no matter what you go with, it'll have it's days!
We've always gone with concrete in the past with our builds and as nice as it is when it's first laid has it's downfall not long after. It'll both crack due to land movement and fade due to wear and sun exposure anyway and it can be a costly investment

You are definitely right, asphalt is waaaaaay cheaper than anything else out there. I wonder if there's something that you can spray or even paint on once it has faded to keep it looking new for years to come? I may have to ask the guys tomorrow...i'll keep you posted
The French Hamptons Farmhouse
Thanks mate. We had asphalt on a small area in the past and I parked my car on it everyday for 3 years. Because my tyres were in the same spot everyday...it basically wore into the asphalt and looked horrible.

But we actually love the look of it and it will compliment the style of house we are looking to build. And the price is attractive too.
If the base is done properly you shouldn't have any dramas. You want it to be thoroughly compacted by the biggest machine possible. Biggest problem I've seen with asphalt is when it rains heavy the edges start to wash away and then the base underneath begins to wash away so probably ensure good storm water run off and that the water run off is taken away from the asphalt not just run down the side of it.
Related
30/04/2023
Gravel Driveway

Building A New House

Thanks TamFed!

2/05/2023
Concrete driveway: joint spacing

Paving & Concreting

Hi all I need a guidance on how far I need to space expansion joints in the concrete driveway and its type (keyway/foam.) Contraction joints are at 3m max for a 125 slab. Thanks

3/05/2023
No provision for a discharge point for the driveway

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi All, We have a fall from road to garage front. But we cannot put a drain/grate because no discharge point put by the builder. Now they complain not enough space for…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum