Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Timber for decks - to composite or not to composite

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Would love to hear experience of those who have used quality composite decking like Trex, new gen etc that offer 25 year guarantees on parts of the product.

How long has your deck been in place?
How does it look now? - as it can’t be sanded back when scratched etc
Do you find it extremely hot?
Would you use it again if you had your time over?

My deck will be low to the ground so less than 400mm clearance below.

Thanks
Hi Gaudi
You will find a Deck Design using composite decking, Cost, data, Here
Search on the manufacturers Website for Technical data-> Engineering properties for specific Deck materials then do a comparison
Thank you!
I missed that thread in my search of old topics.
Chippies all have such different views.
I wouldn't necessarily listen to the guys selling the job.

It can depend on where you live - climate, pests, activities. And - clearance - as you mention.

I'd go composite - but you need to extrapolate the costs over 10-20 years - ie cleaning, oil, sanding, replacement etc etc - to get a fair comparison.

Also - do you want to do the maintenance ? Or just want something you can wash off ?

We have synthetic grass - best thing I ever did - BUT - it was the best of those offered.
Thanks Saint Mike

I think I have decided to go with the composite due to its anti fade guarantee..... , anti warping too I think.

I have about/under 200mm clearance under some parts of deck which made my decision clearer. I do like timber decks. Was planning on spotted gum or blackbutt, but I am warming to idea of minimal maintenance and sitting and drinking on versus sanding the deck.

I visited a local sporting club with large composite deck that gets lots of use and still looks new.

I’ll post a photo if the building permit comes through.

I’m oversowing Tall Fescue at the moment and the birds are eating the seeds...
......synthetic grass sounds appealing.
You might find this useful ...
Saint Mike
You might find this useful ...

I’m so glad I dug up this to post a picture that has made me changed my mind about composite.

Thanks saint mike. Haven’t laughed so much for a while about my deck and caulk-ing issues.
I do have almost have a building permit finally for my low ‘deck’ so might get some joy soon.

This type of fading I’ve seen in high quality composite deck in display homes with door mats has me thinking merbau it is.

Related
6/05/2023
Decks and Firepits

Building A New House

Hi there, We've just build a new hardwood (Greybox) deck and am wondering whether firepit protective mats/surfaces are sufficient? I'm not sure that they're heat…

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum