Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Mounting projector on ceiling on ground floor in a 2 storey

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I have a HT room that I added on for my Clarendon leaton 28 build. It’s a small room 4mx3.3m

I want to mount a jvc projector which weighs 15kg on the ceiling. I did ask Clarendon to put some noggins however it may not me in the exact spot I wanted.

If it’s not in the right spot how does one mount that projector?

Thanks,
K.
Hi K,

You have a few options.

Firstly though, is this room directly below the 2 level, or is it open above ceiling/roof?

I’ll assume it’s directly below the second level (so you can’t get access from above).

Did they install a power point on the ceiling for the projector to plug into?

Being a small room you’ll want the projector as far back as it will go, so you could buy or make a bracket to support the projector which would simply attach to the wall at the correct height.

If you definitely want it ceiling mounted but can’t find the noggins (or they haven’t put them in) you can put a large enough slab of plywood to screw into 2 joists and attach the projector to the plywood. You’d need to paint it for a neat appearance obviously.

Depending on which way the joists are running and which room end the projector is going, you could attach directly to said joists, and with most modern projectors having lens offset you can even mount off center and still be ok.

Cheers.
gillybean
Hi K,

You have a few options.

Firstly though, is this room directly below the 2 level, or is it open above ceiling/roof?

I’ll assume it’s directly below the second level (so you can’t get access from above).

Did they install a power point on the ceiling for the projector to plug into?

Being a small room you’ll want the projector as far back as it will go, so you could buy or make a bracket to support the projector which would simply attach to the wall at the correct height.

If you definitely want it ceiling mounted but can’t find the noggins (or they haven’t put them in) you can put a large enough slab of plywood to screw into 2 joists and attach the projector to the plywood. You’d need to paint it for a neat appearance obviously.

Depending on which way the joists are running and which room end the projector is going, you could attach directly to said joists, and with most modern projectors having lens offset you can even mount off center and still be ok.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply!

It actually has a separate roof with terracotta tiles, it’s not directly below the 2nd storey. I can’t really access it anyways as it’s all sealed with sarking etc?

Yes I already have a hdmi and power there. The jvc is some 474mm deep. And wall to wall is 4m.

I have curtains there so I can’t get a shelf. My aim is to get from lens to screen 3.3m to achieve 110” 16:9 screen. Would prefer 3.4m to have some headroom to play with. Can you tell from the pic if I can have that?

I was thinking about your plywood option but would t look ugly even when painted?

I will attach some photos here:

They also moved the PowerPoint and brush plate I think as the before gyprock and after don’t really match up.

Before the gyprock went up.

After gyprock:

I haven’t mounted the screen yet. Trying to figure out to have bottom of screen to floor at 600mm or slightly more. The lower I have the screen the lower I need the projector to come down from ceiling.

I’m sitting around 3.4m back from eyes to screen.

Well as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

I’d guess you’ll have no problem achieving what you want.

You’ll probably have to attach towards the RHS of noggins (RHS being the RHS of the image you posted, so towards the wall end of noggins), but it depends what mount you are going to use.

I don’t think the plywood idea would look ugly at all if you go that way. The JVC is big so it will cover it anyway, and no one will be looking at it anyway when there’s a 110” image opposite!

As far as lowering the projector to match the lowering of the screen, that is not necessary as the JVC would/should have lens offset, which works both horizontally and vertically, so mount the projector at your desired height and then use the lens offset to line the image up inside the screen borders. You can experiment with your screen at any height and when happy fix it in place.

Got to say the room looks fantastic, will be great fun!
gillybean
Well as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

I’d guess you’ll have no problem achieving what you want.

You’ll probably have to attach towards the RHS of noggins (RHS being the RHS of the image you posted, so towards the wall end of noggins), but it depends what mount you are going to use.

I don’t think the plywood idea would look ugly at all if you go that way. The JVC is big so it will cover it anyway, and no one will be looking at it anyway when there’s a 110” image opposite!

As far as lowering the projector to match the lowering of the screen, that is not necessary as the JVC would/should have lens offset, which works both horizontally and vertically, so mount the projector at your desired height and then use the lens offset to line the image up inside the screen borders. You can experiment with your screen at any height and when happy fix it in place.

Got to say the room looks fantastic, will be great fun!

Thanks

See the noggins they put up? How far from the back wall do you think that is? From where the noggin just starts to the back wall? I’m just worried it’s not far back enough to achieve my 3.3m lens to screen.... will be right. Won’t know until I have the installer come. I was thinking maybe a peerless prg- unv Mount.

The Center seat does not recline... looks like I may need to go on that one when my daughter is around lol. Family of 3 here.

Yeah bit hard to tell from pics, only guessing and guess would be the noggins start roughly 250-300mm from wall and the noggins themselves would be roughly 450mm long.

If you’ve got an installer coming then just let him know the situation, if he’s any good he’ll sort it no worries.
gillybean
Yeah bit hard to tell from pics, only guessing and guess would be the noggins start roughly 250-300mm from wall and the noggins themselves would be roughly 450mm long.

If you’ve got an installer coming then just let him know the situation, if he’s any good he’ll sort it no worries.

Thanks
Related
7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum