Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

South facing back yard in sydney

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys we've purchased a block with a south facing back yard. I didn't put too much thought in to it but thought it'd be nice in the alfresco in summer compared to our current west facing back yard. Our alfresco will be at the rear on the east side and our living areas are on the east. We will be putting a pool in the backyard. Okay so any Sydney siders on here have a south facing back yard and if so what do you love and hate? What's the sun like in winter, is it too shady? How much sun do you get? Is there a lot of sun in summer? Any other pros and cons related to sun and shade? Thanks. Oh and its a single story if thats relevant at all
It will probably be fine in summer, cold in winter as it won’t get much sun.

You won't be seeing any sun in the winter there as the house itself will be shading out your backyard.
I have a south facing block too, but it is a private cul-de-sac, so I have put together a north-facing patio with retractable roof in addition to south-facing alfresco. The first one is the "winter" patio, the later is the "summer" patio.

Also, kitchen and dining are facing north and while living and family are facing south.
If its a custom design and not too late, you can design a u shaped house with the main back yard, pool facing east, so you get all of the morning sun until after lunch time.
Related
22/11/2023
where to place yard gullies?

Building A New House

can someone with more experience give me their insight? land is pretty much flat its pretty much at the top of a hill. left and right neighbours are flat in line with my…

29/12/2023
New development overlooks into my yard

General Discussion

Plant some bamboo along the fenceline >

24/01/2024
Bore in front yard

Landscape & Garden Design

there should be ss cable so you can pull up bore pump for service

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros