Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

NBN Installation & Electrical Plan

Page 1 of 1
everyone,

I'm building a house in a NBN required area. I need to make sure the NBN box and data points are located correctly as it will be almost impossible for the external electrician to change after the handover.

Currently I have

NBN box in garage
1x data point Family room
1x internet-only in Family room
1x data point in living room (first floor)
1x data return in Master (first floor)

I wasn't given an electrical appointment, and my pre-site consultant wasn't able to explain to me either. If anyone on this forum can give me some help, it will be much appreciated.

(Bedroom 4 will be changed to a Study)

Thank you
Hi sakuraSE

here is a picture that will help you understand your connection

The NDT on your drawings will be the connection box in the picture above.

The blue cable will need to go to a router and then to a network switch.

For your WIFi you might like to use a WIFI access point AP-AC-Pro.

If you need additional help please feel free to ring On 03 9044 3552
We have Telstra Velocity (TV) - fibre optic - and it was all there in the new house**. As per the above diagram by Max. Albeit not the NBN - thank goodness. I dread the day we are handed to them. TV is run here and when you have an issue you speak to them - not overseas. We get Foxtel through them too.

** We did have to choose where we needed outlets etc. As we get all TV - ie FTA as well - via Foxtel - we didn't need a lot of aerial spots. This is awesome as you can use the IQ3 Box to tape FTA and Fox shows. Only one set of controls. Just one connection for router - then wifi for everything. Our main extras were for Foxtel but you can get around that too. They use special "plugs" to get signal about in house (Max might explain this better ...
).

So just sit and think HOW/WHERE you plan to work - ie your study/office might be best spot for router and 'net connection etc.
I would not recommend garage location. I’d suggest somewhere central in your house like in your under stair cupboard. Wifi extenders and the like exist but great if you can use Techsmax advice and get it right now as you are hoping to do.
I’m not an expert. Just based on experience of Telstra coming to connect and saying location in garage at front of house is why I have poor signal at rear of home.

Hi Mars5

If you are having poor signal problems may i suggest using a Access point, its not an wifi extender more a stand alone unit.

All you have to do is install it in data point in a central location and turn off the WIFI in your telsta modem/router.

These access points give fantastic coverage as they were originally designed for enterprise network solutions.

Feel free to contact us for more information.
Thank you!Techsmax
I will look into it and likely will contact you as I’ve asked many people and tried 2 pieces of Recomended equipment with no luck.

Hi All

I have done a quick WIFI design for the plans that are in this topic for everyone to have a look.
We do offer this service to our customers at a cost normally.

We have used 3db loss for walls and 20db for the floor. If this was a commissioned design, we would look at what materials are in the walls and floors and adjust accordingly.

First Floor with one AP-AC-Pro

Ground Floor showing WIFI penetration from Fist Floor AP-AC-Pro

Ground Floor with extra AP-AC-Pro
Mars5
Thank you!Techsmax
I will look into it and likely will contact you as I’ve asked many people and tried 2 pieces of Recomended equipment with no luck.

Hi Mars5

if you like you can send me you floor plan and i can work out your network requirment

Did you get to know what a Data Return is?
Related
21/06/2023
Mohair Seal Installation

Windows & Doors

I need to replace the worn mohair seal on my sliding window, but I can't get access to the end to slide the old one out & push the new one in. I could probably rip the old…

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum