Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Honouring a quote

Page 1 of 1
I’m after some advice.

In April this year I was given a quote for tiles from a reputable company. The quote stated I needed 88m2 of my chosen tile and 18m2 for my alfresco. In the quote it clearly states that ‘wastage’ is included.

Due to bank valuation on the house it was decided to do the tiling after handover so I could save for the tiles.

I emailed the shop on the 11th of this month after choosing a tiler to confirm the availability of the tiles and to ask that a 10% wastage had been included in the original quote.

I was told via email that yes the wastage was included, the tiles were available and providing I paid the deposit this month they would honour their original quote.

I rang today as I didn’t have a reference number for the bank transfer and after a number of phone calls was advised that wastage was not included and they did not have enough tiles to cover the now 97m2 and that the wait was 10-12 weeks.

Do they have to honour their original quote, it was their mistake not mine.

Madora Dreamer
I’m after some advice.

In April this year I was given a quote for tiles from a reputable company. The quote stated I needed 88m2 of my chosen tile and 18m2 for my alfresco. In the quote it clearly states that ‘wastage’ is included.

Due to bank valuation on the house it was decided to do the tiling after handover so I could save for the tiles.

I emailed the shop on the 11th of this month after choosing a tiler to confirm the availability of the tiles and to ask that a 10% wastage had been included in the original quote.

I was told via email that yes the wastage was included, the tiles were available and providing I paid the deposit this month they would honour their original quote.

I rang today as I didn’t have a reference number for the bank transfer and after a number of phone calls was advised that wastage was not included and they did not have enough tiles to cover the now 97m2 and that the wait was 10-12 weeks.

Short answer no.
If there is not enough stock I'm sure in their T&Cs that they will get out of it. Quote is only valid while stocks "last" and usually 30-90days..

Pick a new tile or source another supplier...this is the issue with people doing their own measure or taking drawings to a shop. They're salespeople estimating is not their forte! Always get the Tiler to measure and give you the meterage needed including waste and breakage.

Post up a picture of the tile and I may be able to point you to some alternative suppliers or Tiles!

ja-mez
Madora Dreamer
I’m after some advice.

Short answer no.
If there is not enough stock I'm sure in their T&Cs that they will get out of it. Quote is only valid while stocks "last" and usually 30-90days..

Pick a new tile or source another supplier...this is the issue with people doing their own measure or taking drawings to a shop. They're salespeople estimating is not their forte! Always get the Tiler to measure and give you the meterage needed including waste and breakage.

Post up a picture of the tile and I may be able to point you to some alternative suppliers or Tiles!

Thanks Ja-Mez, after sleeping on it and for the sake of a few hundred dollars and some inconvenience I will stick with the original tiles. I think I would never be happy otherwise!

Just for curiosity, what's the floor plan sqm of the house these tiles are going on?

Carpenter & Joiner
Sydney Institute of Technology Building, Randwick campus.
97 square metres for tiling. The house is 266sq metres altogether.

Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum