Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Floor Plan Advice Please :-)

Page 2 of 2
alexp79
I doubt that louvre roof will be more expensive than alfresco one, but worth checking.
Also, check out SolarRoof - this one will be much cheaper.

Do you have a website for that? I couldn't find it just on googling.....
I like all the storage that you have in this house.

Have you talked to council (and the estate) about their requirements? We had to make a few adjustments to suit them.

Have you gone to any display homes with these measurements and a tape measure? Our builder got us to do this (as we are doing custom too), and was really good being able to see rooms of a similar size and feel how it would feel when furnished
Thanks, storage was a priority for me!!!

We have been talking to council about their requirements, but it's been a bit tricky to get answers out of them! The building envelope that we were given by the real estate agent was apparently developed in conjunction with council, but it is different to council rules! However most of the council rules are in our favour which is good - it's just the front setback that we can't get an answer on at the moment. Building envelope says 3m, council says possibly 5m depending on neighbours. Trouble is this is a new estate (land hasn't even settled yet) and there are no neighbours! The person we have been speaking to is hesitant to give us a definite answer yet until there are more submissions. This plan has the top floor setback at 4m at the moment. To be honest, we're not really sure where to go with that now in terms of getting a definite answer from council! It's quite frustrating! The builder has suggested sending in an elevation plan for advice.....we might do that.

We have been around to some display homes but not with a tape measure. We've just been looking at the floor plan measurements and estimating. Most of the display homes we have around us have bigger rooms than this so it has been hard to get a good feel. A tape measure is a good idea!
I would look at inspiration from builders, for example this plan from the builder we are using. It's basically got the same rooms you are wanting if you open bed 4 to make it an activity room and there is enough width left on the block to make the garage wider if you build it to the boundary.
I think an L-shaped plan for your kitchen/dining/ alfresco would be better for light and prevent wasted space. Also you will see there isn't a need for you to have your first floor overhanging at the front which will be more expensive and none of the toilets face the entry/stairs

This is just an example, there are many others.

Building Monte Carlo 40- Wisdom homes
I would move the ground floor powder room door. As you have it you see the toilet door as you enter the house. You can move it to the side to have it open from the hallway instead.

The back living room is not furnishable at all. Ask your designer to reconfigure it and show couches and a tv in the drawings.
Maybe something like this - Alfresco to the west will allow Light from the North to reach your living room. Add corner stacker doors so you can open up the space to the kitchen, dining and living. The living area has better proportions and is easily furnishable. The powder room entry is private, and the door opens to look at the vanity not the toilet.

Adelaide Girl
alexp79
I doubt that louvre roof will be more expensive than alfresco one, but worth checking.
Also, check out SolarRoof - this one will be much cheaper.

Do you have a website for that? I couldn't find it just on googling.....

Solar Pergola

https://www.patioliving.com.au/timber/s ... rgola.html
If you can afford to, get a dumb waiter between the upper floor and the laundry below... not only hauling laundry, but trays of food when folks are sick, etc. If you've all got flu you will bless the dumbwaiter, provided funds allow, also with sprained ankles, strained hips, or anything else... my MIL in the UK put one in - best thing she ever did for herself. Just a thought.
I certainly would, if going with two story.
Do people think the staircase is on the correct side of the hallway, or should it be on the other side???
Related
25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum