Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Using an external designer

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone got any experience of opting for an external designer rather than using an in house designer of a builder?

I'm reading the website of a company in Perth called Boyle Design who have some good things to say.

Wondering peoples thoughts on taking thris route?
Matt1927 Its depends are you tendering out the design and getting quotes?
If you are going to go down that route then beware of hidden commissions that are paid by builders
to the designers/architects these have to be disclosed upfront
On complex difficult builds I would recommend getting a complete Design & Engineering service
with data and quants.HTH
Thanks for the reply.

I wont be tendering out the design. It's more a case of us just starting with a blank canvas and letting a design company come up with a house design that works for our block. Then taking that to a builder to build.

The build should be straight forward enough I'm thinking. It's a new estate block so nice and flat and it's pretty square but it is a corner block but nothing out of the ordinary really.

The reason for taking this approach is I just get the feeling builders are wanting us to build a house that suits them and they arent designing one that maximises the block, especially when it comes to maximising sun light.
matt1927 "Blank canvas and Open cheque Book?"
Project builders build homes that the average punters can afford
and there is always one Corner House in a display village look around (google maps & websites) you'll find what you want. You might want to also try out older display villages that have since closed, they were on larger blocks. Floor plans haven't changed much, so you can upgrade/modernize the elevation. There were some rippers in canningvale on 600m2 blocks I see to remember....
HTH
Related
2/09/2023
Architect vs designer vs builder

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your build is relatively simple, I believe your job can be easily done by a good building designer, you really do not need to pay for the architect. Remember, architect's…

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum