Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Double brick + brick veneer combo

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

Sustainability experts are recommending to reduce thermal mass for the first floor while concentrating it at the ground floor.

I am thinking of a hybrid construction - double bricks for the ground floor and heavily insulated brick veneer for the first floor.

What are the pros/cons and implications for this kind of approach from the complexity of building?

I suppose it should not be a big issue of adding a timber frame to the top floor and placing some bricks around it?

Thanks
Brick vaneer with proper insulation is generally much better than double brick without insulation.

Thermal mass of double brick without insulation can work against you if you get continuous hot sunny days.

Hi JB1,

Of course both will be heavily insulated.

WBR,
Alex
What is the overall thickness of the ground floor wall?

I am planning 28.5 cm walls =110+65+110 with 45 mm of Kooltherm K8 (total R3.0)
While the ground floor is double brick, the outside brick does nothing for insulation due to the insulation between the bricks.

So unless you really want brick veneer on the outside and inside, for superior insulation you may wish to consider Insulating Concrete Form.

The other option is to use BV and plaster inside but with 140mm wall studs which will allow you to use R4.0 batts. You can use polished concrete floors for thermal mass.

Related
15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

21/05/2023
Replacing brick veneer?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Great advice, thanks Alex

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum