Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Gyprock (Drywall) VS White set (Plaster)

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Have been reading a lot of online forums / posts about the current situation in regards to people with paint peeling off the walls and large cracks appearing in their new/ recently built homes (white set/ render).

The builder (HGWA) is now offering drywall now as part of the package where as before it would have to be an upgrade and extra costs incurred.

Which is the best way to go?
Drywall over brickwork Isn't offered as a superior alternative at the same price
It's offered because it masks poor Brickwork & constant Cracking
The question arises if it masks major structural (flexural) problems how does that help you
when there is a dangerous brittle/unexpected failure?
StructuralBIMGuy
Drywall over brickwork Isn't offered as a superior alternative at the same price
It's offered because it masks poor Brickwork & constant Cracking
The question arises if it masks major structural (flexural) problems how does that help you
when there is a dangerous brittle/unexpected failure?
We are going with plaster, as my dad and brother will be doing it for us. My dad has been plastering for 30 years, and I know he does great work and takes a lot of pride in his work.
I think drywall is being offered to help with quicker build times, and because there are so many bad plasterers out there now. My dad has had to spend a lot of time going back out after plastered who have done a crappy job to patch and fix their work. A LOT of people are struggling to find work because of drywall being introduced so much now.

I suppose if there are painters on this forum they would start complaining about how they're constantly fixing up wet plasterers faulty work. I agree a lot of people are struggling to find trade/contracting work in WA.. but if you've been around that long you would have seen slow downs before.My point is the following trades always blame the previous trades for poor workmanship and quick fixes don't solve structural problems. ie brickwork<-Plasterer<-Painter<- Masking...make sure your brickwork is done properly
Related
24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

19/09/2023
Gyprock before Brickwork

Building A New House

Yes windows and doors are in

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum