Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Broad Reno ideas for enhanced layout

Page 2 of 2
F*ck. Just lost another post. Was just saying, in regards to the small bed 4 (in the current meals area), & bed 3 (which will also be 2.7m wide, as a new hallway to the rear extension will rob space). You could make that rear wet area much more efficient, decreasing their size. I'd consider installing a European laundry inside your bathroom. These are very spatially efficient. Stack a dryer on top of a front load washing machine. Sink beside it, with overhead cabinets, & more cabinets under the sink. Possibly with some bench space if required. All in a cabinet in the bathroom. You'd probably still need rear access for washing line, which may be a bit weird out the bathroom, but may be ok. Guess with 5 people & only 2 bathrooms you're always going to want to keep that separate toilet, which will take a bit of room. But with a re-jig I'm sure you can steal a bit of space for the bedrooms. Firstly that 3 door hallway for the wet areas is a waste of space. The other option is a European laundry in the kitchen, though I don't think you have the room there. Or keep the current walk through laundry, make it more efficient, & move the toilet into here. That will save space. Either case, wherever the toilet is, please have a basin in the room, gross otherwise.
Haha, technology can be a pain sometimes!

Only problem with having a bed where the meals currently is (and I presume, leave the kitchen/dining/ lounge as is) is that it completely blocks off the backyard from the living areas. I don't even know how you could get outside if you took our the laundry to make that meals area bedroom bigger...there may be access o the outside from the new master in the future extension, but everything else leads to the front yard instead which isn't ideal. I know the orientation doesn't suit it,but ideally I would like to maximise the backyard/indoor flow, especially with a young family, having eyes on the backyard is preferable.
The first post that I lost was about outdoor areas. Firstly, some more questions, about your location. Are you in a quiet street? Possibly a quiet cul de sac, by the shape of your block, & the fact your road is a "court"? How much privacy do you need in your living & outdoor areas? Would you be happy to have them facing the street? Some people find this to be a revelation, increasing their sense of community. The reason I ask is, if you're happy to keep your living area where it is, which is where I think it should be, I'd consider landscaping your sunny front yard, & making it your primary outdoor area. For most of the year this area will be more comfortable than the shaded backyard. So would be great for outdoor/ indoor living, if you're on a quiet street. Our neighbour, who was a builder, extended & also put his pool out front. It was a great idea, & with landscaping was very private. It was in a quiet cul de sac though, I wouldn't recommend it for any location. Then you can have a smaller shaded outdoor area out back, that could be used on hot summer days, & by the master, if you extend it out back.
Haha, yeah just lost some of another one, luckily I copied most of it, so could just paste it back in. Yeah, our posts are overlapping. That rear access is a problem. I'm guessing the fourth bedroom won't be required until you do the extension. Rear access could be maintained in the meals room until you do the rear extension, & convert the meals room. The extension would rob some area from the backyard, making it more shady, & a less attractive place to use anyway. When you do the extension, you could gain rear access from the new corridor that joins the current house to the new rear rumpus/master/whatever.
Related
23/04/2024
1980s house reno ideas

General Discussion

your new kitchen and living area looks great and we need accurate dimensions to be specific but with the thickness of the brick column you may be able to line the inside…

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum