Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Wooden Floorboards

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I have wooden floorboards with a crawlspace underneath and wooden stumps. The house was built around the 1960s.
Will a safe, measuring about 65x60cm, and weighing 170-180kg be alright on these wooden floorboards? Since it will be in one position over an extended period (many many years to come), will the floorboards be weakened over the years and eventually give way and collapse?

If this happens, what will be the cost to repair the floorboards and stumps?

Also, can anyone give me some advice to securely bolt down the safe? Should I use a metal plate underneath the floorboards? Or are large.diameter washers sufficient?

I hope I posted this in the right forum, I just need some expert advice from some builders.

Thanks.
I'm not a builder but here's what I think. The effort put into securing it to the floor is proportionate to the value of the contents

You'll need to try to get it over a stump or as near to one as possible. They'd probably never collapse but would affect the floor level and may bow under. You'll need to bolt it into joists or using ubolts around them. Extra members wold be advised.
Related
14/03/2024
Soundproofing between floors in wooden house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

To reduce noise transfer without compromising the aesthetic of your exposed I beams, consider filling the 100mm gap between the I beams and the floor above with dense,…

4/12/2023
Miners Cottage floorboards

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi All New to the forum and looking for some advice, has anyone else renovated an old miners cottage in or around Ballarat and been able to identify the flooring? We…

24/04/2024
Ensure rubber gym floor is flush to floorboards in hallway?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, looking to have a gym in a new build. Planning to install some sort of rubber mat flooring (on concrete) i.e. Asking the builder to not do floorboards in the gym…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum