Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Advice for a first timer in over her head??

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
I've just joined this forum in the hope to find like advice and support to help keep me focused positive and motivated in what possibly could either be the best or worst decision I've made!!!
I bought a residence in june last year, it is an ex masonic lodge hall, renno'ed to a 4 bed home. Ive had it rented out til now and am possibly looking at getting into it and starting to repair. Its in way worse shape than i thought, not due to tenants, just the way it is.. cracks, bad plastering etc. From what i can see the original renno was a little ordinary,and lots of corners were cut. So now, I'm freaking out at the sheeer enormity of not only the place, but the job ahead. I'm also a single mum so no man power in some of this either!! (im slightly crazy i know) So right now, I guess my questions are... has anyone else lived and modified a giant place with 14ft ceilings and have any tips???? 3/4 of it has been restumped, from what i gather it was too close to the ground in the last quarter, and would have to go through the floor. Its a 30mm difference at its worst. The plastering in many places is ordinary, and i believe the movement from stumping may see some more cracks and shifts appear. Is it wise to get that stumping done before attempting to do anything else? Would it be expensive to put false ceilings in the bedrooms? Please help ease my mind that this is all totally doable and worthwhile
!!! Thanks.
Anything is possible, just comes down to budget and a positive mind set.

Renovations can be rewarding when well planned out. If you have the time on your hands to tackle it in a structured manner then you should be fine. Just plan months in advance before even attempting anything, and if you are time poor then maybe hiring a builder, architect or another professional to take care of it for you might be worth the money?

Good luck!

Thankyou for your response, money is the key isnt it, and probably is what it behind the panic too!! But yes, plenty of time there is no rush to have it all done. If I may ask, I'm planning to eventually wrap a verandah around 3/4 of it, this may seem an obvious question, but would it be wise to take care of the stumping prior to this? I only ask as the roof is fairly unreachable atm, and the verandah would give access to the roof, so would like to get that rolling asap.
Related
27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

24/10/2023
Need advice - vinyl over kitchen tiles

General Discussion

Levelling compound Ardit is the best but buy a bag of sand and make sand dam to protect your wood floor

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum