Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Leaking Ensuite?

Page 1 of 1
After any advise please

We have lived in our new build for almost 3 months - I've had a sneaking suspicion that something wasn't right with our shower, at first i thought i must have left the door opened and water leaked onto the floor but i'm pretty sure thats not the case.

Its hard to tell but all the grout started out light grey and now looks wet in places, each day its creeping further and further along, yesterday i felt the silicone between where the floor and wall tiles meet and got water on my finger

In these pics the shower hadn't been used for 24 hours and if you touched the grout its still damp..

If you look closely you can see a puddle of water.. this is in the corner near the vanity so about 1.5 meters from the shower

And i have no idea whats happening with the wall grout! Its going bubbly and scratches off...

Thoughts anyone?
z

C U S T O M. C O R A L. B R O N T E. 43
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581
Had a similar issue in a rental of mine. Got hold of Megasealed http://www.megasealed.com.au They came in did moisture measurements and pinpointed where the leak was and fixed it without demolition
MrsJM
I just replied in the general thread ryalls. Freaking hell. When is the drama gonna end!? I was told by someone who works for Coral- if we want our builds to be quality with better workmanship, we should have built with a private builder because Coral pay their trades 'X' therefore we can only expect a job of 'Y' quality and if we want better than 'Y' quality we shouldn't have built with a volume builder. That shouldn't bloody mean that the workmanship isn't to code!!! But apparently it does.

I can't tell you how many issues we have had with plumbing. Of all the trades, the list of defects from the plumbers has been the longest.

At handover I remember getting a list of contact numbers for issues and there was a number for the plumbers. If I was you I think this is urgent enough to contact the plumber directly today rather than waiting for your maintenance inspection on Friday and again being at the mercy of Coral Homes.

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581

Just replied Mrs
Althom
Had a similar issue in a rental of mine. Got hold of Megasealed http://www.megasealed.com.au They came in did moisture measurements and pinpointed where the leak was and fixed it without demolition

Sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion

Like you we definetly dont want to have to deal with demolition but want it fixed.. How did they fix the damage?
MrsJM
I just replied in the general thread ryalls. Freaking hell. When is the drama gonna end!? I was told by someone who works for Coral- if we want our builds to be quality with better workmanship, we should have built with a private builder because Coral pay their trades 'X' therefore we can only expect a job of 'Y' quality and if we want better than 'Y' quality we shouldn't have built with a volume builder. That shouldn't bloody mean that the workmanship isn't to code!!! But apparently it does.

I can't tell you how many issues we have had with plumbing. Of all the trades, the list of defects from the plumbers has been the longest.

At handover I remember getting a list of contact numbers for issues and there was a number for the plumbers. If I was you I think this is urgent enough to contact the plumber directly today rather than waiting for your maintenance inspection on Friday and again being at the mercy of Coral Homes.

Yep exactly this the only downside is costwise you get alot let house for the same price i had a quote for a custom build that was around 60sqm smaller and was the same cost as my build with just the basic inclusions..... its a tough call to make especially if you want more space etc... however corals builds still should be able to meet standards regardless of costs and if they happen to stuff my place up so badly i sure as hell will be out the front of there display village making it known until they get things right.

Not good that this has happend ryalls give them the chance to resolve and go from there

Too me it seems either a leak behind the tiling or some poor sealing or grouting.
Ur waterproofing should be fine.
Get a hair dryer see if you can dry that grout out and see if it returns damp again.
Grouts are susceptible to retaining moisture for reasonable time especially now its cooled down a little.
Goodluck i hope it gets resolved quickly and without much hassle for you

Ryalls_first_build
Althom

Like you we definetly dont want to have to deal with demolition but want it fixed.. How did they fix the damage?

Depends on what the cause is. They might take out some of the grout and replace it with an epoxy based grout or inject epoxy under the tiles. The best bit is no tile removal and ready to use again in 24 hours
That answer from the builder is crap. If it was done properly and checked it should not be like this. I'd be looking at taking some action - maybe approach the HIA etc.

If they say they will do a bathroom and do it properly - then waterproofing the shower etc is an essential part of it.

BUT - to fix it you may well need to re-do - AND you be there when they do the sealing bit. A cheap solution may work - but it can look pretty awful - especially in an ensuite - you'll always look at it ...

Finally - if you have that reply in writing - or a name etc - I'd be going to Coral management and asking them if this is what future buyers can expect. Don't threaten/whinge - just say it is not good enough - even if their staff think it is. If you have any of Coral's words - ie how good they are - use them. BUT - write to head office - not the local mob.
Saint Mike
That answer from the builder is crap. If it was done properly and checked it should not be like this. I'd be looking at taking some action - maybe approach the HIA etc.

If they say they will do a bathroom and do it properly - then waterproofing the shower etc is an essential part of it.

BUT - to fix it you may well need to re-do - AND you be there when they do the sealing bit. A cheap solution may work - but it can look pretty awful - especially in an ensuite - you'll always look at it ...

Finally - if you have that reply in writing - or a name etc - I'd be going to Coral management and asking them if this is what future buyers can expect. Don't threaten/whinge - just say it is not good enough - even if their staff think it is. If you have any of Coral's words - ie how good they are - use them. BUT - write to head office - not the local mob.

Thanks for your advice Saint Mike, I've noticed you around on the forum and was secretly hoping you might see my post!

I agree 100% with what your saying, I think that's whats so disappointing, we have dreamed about building this house for so long.. We pay all this money and they cut every corner they possibly can! If they just built it properly to start with we wouldn't be having all these issues.

I haven't mentioned it to coral yet, i really only confirmed my suspicions last night. We have our maintenance meeting on Friday so it will be on the list of issues to discuss... I just hope they don't make it difficult.
Whitey22
MrsJM

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=79581

Yep exactly this the only downside is costwise you get alot let house for the same price i had a quote for a custom build that was around 60sqm smaller and was the same cost as my build with just the basic inclusions..... its a tough call to make especially if you want more space etc... however corals builds still should be able to meet standards regardless of costs and if they happen to stuff my place up so badly i sure as hell will be out the front of there display village making it known until they get things right.

Not good that this has happend ryalls give them the chance to resolve and go from there

Too me it seems either a leak behind the tiling or some poor sealing or grouting.
Ur waterproofing should be fine.
Get a hair dryer see if you can dry that grout out and see if it returns damp again.
Grouts are susceptible to retaining moisture for reasonable time especially now its cooled down a little.
Goodluck i hope it gets resolved quickly and without much hassle for you

Hahah I know its so hard not to want to go and make a scene but i've learnt the best way with coral is to try and work with them to get a compromise we are both happy with.. Hopefully we will get a good outcome!

Ill give the hairdryer a go, just out of curiosity
Althom
Ryalls_first_build
Althom

Depends on what the cause is. They might take out some of the grout and replace it with an epoxy based grout or inject epoxy under the tiles. The best bit is no tile removal and ready to use again in 24 hours

Fingers crossed its an easy fix like yours
Ryalls_first_build
Saint Mike

Thanks for your advice Saint Mike, I've noticed you around on the forum and was secretly hoping you might see my post!

I agree 100% with what your saying, I think that's whats so disappointing, we have dreamed about building this house for so long.. We pay all this money and they cut every corner they possibly can! If they just built it properly to start with we wouldn't be having all these issues.

I haven't mentioned it to coral yet, i really only confirmed my suspicions last night. We have our maintenance meeting on Friday so it will be on the list of issues to discuss... I just hope they don't make it difficult.

That sounds good. I'm no expert - but have gone through 3 house builds. I swore before the last I'd never do it again ...

They'll probably have an order they'd like to do it - so just go along - so long as they don't try to gloss over things. We do have to accept that things do occur - eg tiny hairline cracks in the garage cement. A few squeaks etc - can be fixed with WD40. But you may find they will come to the party.

The big thing is not to over re-act - but be firm and state your view. Like when you take your car in for a check under warranty. Make sure you have read the papers you have as to what they think IS an item they will correct. They may (only may) try to snow you - so if you know what's in the papers you have a big head start.

If they start saying they only have an hour - suggest they come back when they have the right amount of time - and smile.

You should go over the house and note down every item you truly think should be fixed - eg loose fittings, warped doors, poor paint work etc. Do it - room by room - on paper. Start at the front door - inside and out (eg brick work - rust stains). It is amazing how many people reply on the builder to find the problems. Don't let them hurry you - but don't take all day.

Sorry if this sounds like such simple stuff - but it is a simple process - if done well.

AND - give them a copy of your list. As you go - note down what is said on each item. Best if 2 of you are there.

If you're polite and willing to accept EVERYTHING is not the builders fault - ie wear and tear - then you'll find they are not that hard to deal with. You can always take the other road afterwards if they refuse point blank to do a job that is clearly a warranty issue - which this seems to be.

Good luck.
Saint Mike

It's a poor attitude isn't it. I complained about my painting- all skirting a and architraves have big thick brush marks, obvious cutting in, nails popping, holes not filled, and I was told that's Coral's standard when I mentioned that it's not within standards and tolerances. Then I was questioned 'not within THE standards or YOUR standards?' Wtffffff. Told them I wasn't gonna bother going to see what quality they display in their display homes because some of the standards I saw made my husband wanna run away from coral from the start

Saint Mike
Ryalls_first_build
Saint Mike

That sounds good. I'm no expert - but have gone through 3 house builds. I swore before the last I'd never do it again ...

They'll probably have an order they'd like to do it - so just go along - so long as they don't try to gloss over things. We do have to accept that things do occur - eg tiny hairline cracks in the garage cement. A few squeaks etc - can be fixed with WD40. But you may find they will come to the party.

The big thing is not to over re-act - but be firm and state your view. Like when you take your car in for a check under warranty. Make sure you have read the papers you have as to what they think IS an item they will correct. They may (only may) try to snow you - so if you know what's in the papers you have a big head start.

If they start saying they only have an hour - suggest they come back when they have the right amount of time - and smile.

You should go over the house and note down every item you truly think should be fixed - eg loose fittings, warped doors, poor paint work etc. Do it - room by room - on paper. Start at the front door - inside and out (eg brick work - rust stains). It is amazing how many people reply on the builder to find the problems. Don't let them hurry you - but don't take all day.

Sorry if this sounds like such simple stuff - but it is a simple process - if done well.

AND - give them a copy of your list. As you go - note down what is said on each item. Best if 2 of you are there.

If you're polite and willing to accept EVERYTHING is not the builders fault - ie wear and tear - then you'll find they are not that hard to deal with. You can always take the other road afterwards if they refuse point blank to do a job that is clearly a warranty issue - which this seems to be.

Good luck.

Seriously awesome advice!!!! Thank you so much.. thats this afternoons little project lol

I understand your not an expert but in regards to paintwork am i allowed to complain about issues ive noticed? I thought once the pxi items had been fixed that was it for cosmetics? I have noticed alot of nail heads popping out of paint and little things like that.

I'd think they should fix popped nails. If they have a painter coming for something - ie poor paintwork - its not that hard to fix a few extras. Being nice from the start is a big help - they probably get so many people who attack them ...

Our bloke actually found things we hadn't seen !!!

So - I'd start with the attitude they are not trying to con you. Some people can come across at the start as angry. I don't mean you behave like a walk over - but see how it goes. AND - stand your ground if you really think something is an issue - eg the ensuite.

Having a list and keeping notes - on each item - is a great start. They realise you will have it later and mean business.
Yeah needs fixing for sure! To see how bad it is you can do a flood test. Put something over the drain and fill up water in the base about 10mm and let it sit. You will soon see how bad it is.

Kind Regards

James Mason - Our Build.

www.renovationjunkies.com.au

www.ourbuildhandyman.com.au
(Apologies if you see this post twice - it disappeared from my screen first time round so have retyped)

Hi, in relation to the ensuite, I would suggest holding off on the hairdryer or any other form of self diagnoses if you have the builder coming out this week. The reason being, if he is serious about rectifying the issue (which I hope he is) it is important that the conditions remain unaltered. If he knows what he is doing, the water marks will tell a story which should aid in identifying the underlying issue.

As far as paint blemishes and other visual type defects, generally speaking if the issue can be seen from a normal viewing position (1.5m away in normal lighting conditions - no handheld lights, glancing light or close ups) then the issue should be considered.

In the meantime, I agree with St Mike - you should concentrate on having a complete list of all concerns drawn up prior to the meeting.

Hope this helps.
i had the same issue with my last build.... got pretty bad to the point it finally reached the door/exit to the bedroom.... Had them eliminate the showerscreen once the went crazy with the silicone and that didnt work, next the tiler came out to take a look at his work and lastly the waterproofer came out..... what had happened is basically because of the semi frameless and low step up, due to poor installation of the waterproofing and this barrier sheet the water was breaching it.

ps i dont get this attitude about project home builders vs custom builds.... regardless of cost there is no excuse for poor workmanship.... if a company cannot produce a quality house like they tell you they can then they should be in a different field
How did it go ?
Sometimes even a inch of missed gaulking will mean big water problems, get to ground level to check shower, also some builders only water proof shower area etc, don't do total area, smaller builders generally put more. Money behind walls etc, you don't see this and it's one of the biggest differences.

Related
11/01/2024
Leaking Hot water

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi, I've got a brand new (2nd hand) Bosch Hydropower 16H tankless hot water heater. Since it was installed I have noticed it leaks a lot. I took the cover off and it looks…

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum