Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Insurance and 5 year maintenance question

Page 1 of 1
Our 5 year building insurance is up come August this year and last year just a after Christmas our roof leaked causing damage to the walls and floorboards in our living room. Our general insurer has agreed to fix the storm damage but not until the structual damage in the roof is fixed. I contacted the builder and they have agreed to fix the roof - however when I spoke about some other structural issues in the house - a large crack in the wall and most of the doors being out of alignment) they said it didn't fit the 'structural damage' criteria. I'm not convinced that the crack in the wall at least isn't structural - its large and noticeable for a house less than 5 years old. I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I get another builder in to assess before responding? I'm keen to get the roof fixed so the inside of the house can also be sorted before winter.
I'd be getting an assessment. Might cost but you'll have something solid to go on. You might also have to approach the Association at some point and they will want facts.

But - don't go overboard at this point - ie make comments etc.

Be polite etc - AND keep notes of names and dates - and what is said.

What does your contract say about structural damage ? Builders often tend to "think" things aren't - at the initial contact stage ...
Thanks, yes I thought that might be the case I've been sitting on their original reply trying to think how to approach it but I may need some evidence and the actual insurance document to do the hard yards for me. I think they brushed me off because the official building report only covered the roof not the cracks - and also they were likely that my insurer may come back to them saying they would be liable for the storm damage. I found the builder difficult to deal with even after the 3 month period - we had to argue for a number of things to be fixed, so I kind of expected it after the 4 and half year mark. I'll take a closer look at the insurance contract and see what it says, whether it specifies the size of the crack (which was the excuse they gave me 'its not big enough to be considered structural') and organise a building assessment.
Hi Bugsie
There's your first problem insurance companies & Courts don't take notice of crack inspection reports unless they are done by Structural engineers I suggest you check with your Council building dept
You will need to provide more info..unfortunately that photo is inconclusive
Yes I thought they might come and at least have a look at it - the photo doesn't reveal much and I intend on getting a structural engineer to have a look! Thanks!
How did you get on with this?
Related
7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

14/12/2023
Liquidation - Insurance question

General Discussion

Hi, For those whose builder has gone into liquidation. I am trying to find out how the house is insured in the meantime (for the period before you employ a new…

17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum