Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Solar power rental

Page 1 of 1
hi all,
Just hoping someone could provide some advice on the benefits of renting a solar power system, and what we should be aware of before we commit. I'd love to hear from someone that is currently renting their system – is it worth it?
I have a quote from Supercharged Solar for $155/month for a 5 kW system (this includes installation and maintenance) – how much extra can I expect to pay for power over the year? I should mention I am located in Perth.

Thanks
Is it a "rent to own" offer? Or just plain rental?

A 5kW system would cost about $5000 (roughly). So $155 per month, if you used your own money, would pay it off in 33 months. Even if you took out a personal loan or purchased on a low interest credit card you could still pay it off quicker by using the savings you're making on your power bills.

What happens if the system is not working? Does the rental company fix it for free? If it is under-performing will they compensate you?

A better option for you might be a "power purchase agreement" through a company like Solarmine. You don't pay upfront costs, you just purchase back the power at a lower cost than grid power.

With all solar installations, the devil is in the detail. There are no "one size fits all" and each installation needs to be tailored to the consumption patterns of the customer. Companies will try and sell you the biggest system they can, but bigger isn't necessarily better, especially if you have a low feed-in tariff.
Related
13/03/2024
Attaching a flyscreen in a rental

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Follow up question - any ideas on how to set up a portable air conditioner through this kind of window?

7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum