Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

First Time Building - Owner Builder or Project Builder?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am 26 years old and I am looking to begin building a 3x2 home on a parcel of land in the near future in Morley (WA).

I already have a plan drawn that I am mostly happy with and am looking to build based on that plan. My knowledge of home building is fairly limited as I have not done this before, but I have some external pressure from my parents to go down an owner-builder route rather than a project builder. They tell me it's not that difficult and the savings on building will be immense.

I am currently in complete limbo as I'm not sure what to do. So far I have spoken to several project builders and had a few rough quotes (Summit Homes & Plunkett Homes).

Any general advice is appreciated.
Hi 5Spice
It's not that difficult if you know what you are doing or have access to great resources
Save heaps that's debatable even if you could do 80% of the trade-work yourself you'll only save < 40% of the cost..do the math
Will you be able to get enough points for an owner builder licence?

Be careful. If you don't know much about building... will you know if trades are overcharging you or complete substandard work?
If you are going owner builder route make sure you have people around you that can assist you.

If your knowledge is limited and it's your first home I wouldn't owner build. I have a lot of family in the building industry and still wouldn't do it myself as I don't have the time or energy. What about a small builder who will let you have a bit of input so you can get an idea of what its like for next time (if there is a next time). Our current builder is cheaper than the large scale builders and he is excellent. We are very involved in the process and it's a completely custom home with heaps of upgrades.
Go for a small builder that you can "help" with the project. Doing it yourself is false economy.
Hi all, really appreciate your responses and I will take them into account. As I was leaning before, I think I will stick with a project builder considering this is going to be my first experience building. Thanks so much again!
May I ask why your two options are limited to either a project builder or owner builder?

What about getting it designed by a building designer or architect and then getting say 3 small local builders to price it?

That's personally what I would do.

A cookie cutter house is not for me, and owner builder is a bit too far the other way.

Maybe one day (when I have the time) I will do an owner build project. But in my mind it is a wooden pole house on the north shore of Hawaii...so I am dreaming...
Building & Property Are Very Important aspect to look serious ...Same renovation or construction of office space also important...for more details [url]office renovation[/url]
I agree with 1960s modernist home , we did that and you have allot more input. It basically feels like owner builder but not if you know what I mean..
We're also in WA
Related
6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum