Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Modular Prefab Homes ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Thinking of moving and building a new house again. Not keen on the standard designs offered by the volume builders. I do, however, like the looks of the design at ArchiBlox, Ecoliv, Habitech, Modscape, Anchor Homes, etc. Wanted something architectural but without the associated cost. Not sure if that's even possible.

Last time I checked modular/prefabricated homes, their base cost was still higher than most volume builders. Add to that challenges with council approvals can be lengthy and tricky. Have things changed?

Anyone had any experience with building prefab/modular homes? Anyone you would recommend?
syahrr01
Last time I checked modular/prefabricated homes, their base cost was still higher than most volume builders. Add to that challenges with council approvals can be lengthy and tricky. Have things changed?

Nothing has changed. going by this mob, things have gotten worse. Prices are insane
http://www.ralhomes.com.au/
I design/engineer/build prefab components all the time where
1. Cost savings are real and can be proved...
2. Repetitive nature of tasks means lower wages for semi-skilled workers
3. weight/span/crew size are optimised
4. Prefab onsite means lower overheads, transport costs, crews are always working, high efficency, etc,etc
I do love the idea of building with Habitech. But like you, I'm guessing it wouldn't be a cheap build. Still, unlike many people, I'd rather build a smaller, well built home, that is very comfortable & energy efficient. Much more inviting than a large inefficient McMansion.
StructuralBIMGuy
I design/engineer/build prefab components all the time where
1. Cost savings are real and can be proved...
2. Repetitive nature of tasks means lower wages for semi-skilled workers
3. weight/span/crew size are optimised
4. Prefab onsite means lower overheads, transport costs, crews are always working, high efficency, etc,etc
What are the common pitfalls do you see with prefab builds?

Have the prefab industry reached critical mass yet to get the kind of economies of scale that volume builders can offer?
Unfortunately, there are stigmas attached with light framed, insulated panels, sips and that they are cheap,nasty, require maintenance and generally the properties sell lower in the market place to brick and concrete?
Volume builders build to a particular formula high turnover,rebates & low profits.
Each has pros and cons
Hi there, sorry to bump an old thread.
Just curious to know if you found out any more information regarding modular building?
The husband and I really love the idea of building this way, but have noticed majority of the companies are based in Melbourne and it's hard to book a site visit. Did you stumble across any based in Sydney by any chance?

Jen
We built with Archiblox. It was a pretty disappointing experience. There's details on my blog, here:
https://mymelbournemodular.home.blog/
Related
13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

9/08/2023
Suggest a modular home builder south of Port Macquarie

Building A New House

Well these guys are not looking good... I sent them a written enquiry last week and they have not yet replied. If they cannot respond to a simple…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum