Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Some random questions if you can help

Page 1 of 1
Hello..

Can someone please help me get better idea of few things before we proceed further with our builder. This will help me get idea from real people rather than builder who obviously is doing business..

First up, insulation.

Question is are these batts really required for insulation?? Will they be required for ceiling on ground and first floor as we are opting for double storey?? Also does BAL 12.5 which has sarking provide any thermal or acoustic insulation really?? Because build is in BAL 12.5 zone so if sarking does provide insulation than batts won't be required, correct??

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/b ... tion/batts

Second up, lighting.

Our builder mentioned they use TELBIX GU10COB for LED downlights. Not entirely sure if it's something really cheap and low quality stuff. Anyone has idea about this brand and model? Apart from quality bit concerned about angle of these LED's. My builder mentioned I will have to pay extra $20 per LED for upgrade. This seems excessive as whole LED kit these days usually costs no more than $20 each itself.

https://onlinelighting.com.au/led-6w-gu ... mable.html

Thirdly, misc. fittings

How did you ensure the fittings like water hoses, taps, cables etc. are pretty good quality?? End of the day I can't go and upgrade each and everything but will need something that is reliable and not cheap nasty stuff..

thanks guys..bit confused with above
It depends where you live and what sort of a climate it is. In NSW as part of a DA you are required as part of the BASIX certificate to have a certain level of insulation in your walls and ceiling. R 2.0 to the walls and R 3.5 at least to the ceiling in your upper storey would be about the minimum you'd need to pass. The sarking contributes a little to the effectiveness of keeping heat out of your ceiling space but why on earth would you want to scrimp on one of the most important aspects of your build ? Good insulation is a must if you want to keep your energy bills down and make your home comfortable to live in.
Can't help with Q2. Have a look in the lighting dept here on the forums.
Q3. Water pipes, electrical cables etc have to meet Australian Standards. Taps and faucets do too but are relatively easily replaced if they fail. Using a good quality brand with a decent Australian warranty rather than some cheap brand the builder will supply will go a long way too. What brand he uses should be in your contract.

Stewie
Hi There,

Can't help much with question 1 - but can offer insight into question 2!
"Our builder mentioned they use TELBIX GU10COB for LED downlights. Not entirely sure if it's something really cheap and low quality stuff. Anyone has idea about this brand and model? Apart from quality bit concerned about angle of these LED's. My builder mentioned I will have to pay extra $20 per LED for upgrade. This seems excessive as whole LED kit these days usually costs no more than $20 each itself."

With LED Downlights there are lots of options these days and different packages available. There are a couple of ways you can upgrade to LED lighting.

(1) You can swap your current halogen MR16 globes to LED MR16 - This option can save you some money as you are keeping your existing frame and driver, but you do need to keep in mind that these globes may strobe or flicker if your driver is older than 10 years approximately. It is recommended that before you decide to go with this option that you check the age and model of your transformer and test one before buying the whole house

(2) New LED downlight kit - these kits are the best and most popular way to upgrade to LED. Kits are equipped with everything you need, including the frame, globe and driver attached. Drivers are generally flex and plug which means that installation is quicker (power point sockets can be placed at each downlight). The LED chip 'globe' is in-built into the downlight therefore there is no need for you to change the downlight! Generally your downlight should last up to 40,000 hours after this point the downlight will still function but it will experience lumen degradation - were the output of the light drops to about 70%.

You can check out some of our leading products and brands:
(1) Globe Only http://search.golights.com.au/nav/globes/led-globes/mr16?isort=price
The price will range from $9 - $19 per globe depending on the wattage you want

(2) LED Kit
Our newest kit: https://www.golights.com.au/axion-led-falcon-10w-dimmable-downlight
This kit is currently on pre-sale for $18 PER KIT! That's everything for $18

Alternatively, a Domus Lighting Kit
https://www.golights.com.au/led-downlight-tek10-10w-dimmable-round-in-white-satin-chrome-domus-lighting

Keep in mind both these units are dimmable, this means if you wish to dim and you don't have dimmers you will need to additionally purchase dimmers as well, so be sure to include this in your budget! The Domus Pro Dimmer retails at $39

Hope that some of this information was helpful, you can always call our staff on 1300 798 220 if you need anymore help on downlights and converting to LED! Our office is based in Sydney, and deliver Australia Wide!

All the best and Good Luck
Stewie D
It depends where you live and what sort of a climate it is. In NSW as part of a DA you are required as part of the BASIX certificate to have a certain level of insulation in your walls and ceiling. R 2.0 to the walls and R 3.5 at least to the ceiling in your upper storey would be about the minimum you'd need to pass. The sarking contributes a little to the effectiveness of keeping heat out of your ceiling space but why on earth would you want to scrimp on one of the most important aspects of your build ? Good insulation is a must if you want to keep your energy bills down and make your home comfortable to live in.
Can't help with Q2. Have a look in the lighting dept here on the forums.
Q3. Water pipes, electrical cables etc have to meet Australian Standards. Taps and faucets do too but are relatively easily replaced if they fail. Using a good quality brand with a decent Australian warranty rather than some cheap brand the builder will supply will go a long way too. What brand he uses should be in your contract.

Stewie

Thanks Stewie. I will check with my builder about insulation before moving forward.

Stewie D
What brand he uses should be in your contract.

Ok good to know that. I will take a look at this too. Good point.
Related
2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum