A question to those, who already did this.
I'm planning to buy some stuff directly from China for my new build. I'm looking at buying bamboo flooring, eco decking, light fixtures, drapes and curtains, outdoor furniture, leather indoor furniture, some ceramic tiles, MDF wardrobes.
In China I have all the necessary connections to send me the goods using sea freight. What worries me is that I don't know how the goods will pass Australian customs. I have never done that. I have a few question about the subject.
1. What kind of fumigation I might need for things made of wood, like bamboo flooring or wooden furniture parts?
2. Do all my purchases require certificate of origin?
3. How can this shipment be insured with an Australian insurer (can you recommend an insurer)?
4. If someone is from Adelaide, can you recommend a reliable local customs broker that you have used?
5. Is it cheaper to arrange a delivery to the front door or is it better to collect the freight in port, using own transport?
6. What was your average expenditure upon receiving the goods (broker fees, port charges, custom charges (except duty and GST (I know that ) etc?
Thank you in advance for all your help.