Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Colorbond roof

Page 1 of 2
Hi all
I am building a new house and tryjng to decide on roof colours. Would love to see pictures of surfmist, shale grey or basalt. I am concerned after driving around and looking at colours about how dirty the lights colours get and wondered if shale grey was better than surfmist for hiding dirt. TIA
Or a photo of evening haze? It is hard to know the roof colour when you drive by houses
Hi Sam, we've got Evening Haze. our house is still under construction so can't speak for how dirty it will look in a few years. There weren't many examples of it to look at while we were deciding on colour. We weren't 100% convinced about the colour before the build but now it's on we really love it! Not the greatest photos but these might be of some assistance to you. You can see how it can look different under different weather conditions.

That is a beautiful looking roof!
We were going for surfmist and the dirty roofs around here turned us off. We have decided on Dune instead . Good luck it's a hard choice

Our Acreage Build

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=82619
Thanks for going to the effort Saint Girl of posting photos. How would you best describe your colour, white, base of yellow/cream or grey?
Looks great
We have shale gray and love it. House being constructed around us do it will be covered in dust but you don't notice and it's nothing a good hose couldn't fix

Thank you for your posts. Beazley, would you say the shale grey still has a white look?
Sam1987
Thanks for going to the effort Saint Girl of posting photos. How would you best describe your colour, white, base of yellow/cream or grey?
Looks great
No worries Sam. That's a hard question to answer...definitely not grey though. It really does change in the light. It can look very much like surfmist in bright light, although it is less reflective. It is creamy, I guess, in duller conditions but if you put it next to Paperbark it wouldn't look creamy at all.
I think I remember going to the colorbond website and they had display homes listed with the various roof colours. We are in Melbourne and there was only a couple with evening haze. I was worried when I saw it that it threw a slight greenish tinge but it doesn't look like that at all on ours. It depends what colour your bricks and render are.
I'm sure none of that was helpful at all but all I can say is we are so stoked our colour consultant suggested it. We hadn't even considered it.
Good luck!!

viewtopic.php?t=81336 Building with MainVue...Modified Ivory 436...our journey
Consider your surrounding landscape and environment.
For example, the colour may be one of the COLORBOND® steel grey/green colours if your country style house with surroundings verandahs is located in a treed area. COLORBOND® steel Woodland Grey® or Pale Eucalypt® would be ideal. Alternatively you may choose to contrast the roof colour with the environment; Manor Red® would be a perfect choice in this case as it's also a traditional roof colour for a farmhouse.
Choosing a roof colour for an outer suburban house may depend on several factors – the design of the house, the surrounding environment including the streetscape, houses nearby, other finishes already selected and your personal preferences. Jasper®, Monument®, Dune®, and Ironstone® are contemporary colours that co-ordinate extremely well with the popular composite style found in many suburbs.

Surfmist is our roof colour and dune is our gutter colour

Hi Sam1987,
We just had our shale grey roof put on. I didn't care what people said about it getting dirty, I liked the look of a lighter roof and wanted something different. Some pics below.

Looks good to me Gems23.

I've got a surfmist colourbond roof here.
Check out my build for Basalt examples.
Basalt looks different between shade and sun.
Sam1987
Hi all
I am building a new house and tryjng to decide on roof colours. Would love to see pictures of surfmist, shale grey or basalt. I am concerned after driving around and looking at colours about how dirty the lights colours get and wondered if shale grey was better than surfmist for hiding dirt. TIA

We are planning on Basalt for the roof and either Surfmist or Shale Grey for the garage doors. I figure the garage door will be easier to hose down/clean when dirty.
Factor in the massive difference that you get from light colours to dark colours with dark colours getting so much hotter , we chose monument, so heavily insulated roof , , worth researching .
Dark colours will have an impact on the energy performance in summer, as Joker said, should be compensated for by better insulation. There fore to achieve a comparable level of energy performance the light roof will be lower cost.

But personally I prefer the look of a darker roof, because it is "less visible".

On my own house I have a flat roof with a parapet fascia all around with concealed box gutter so the roof is not visible unless you're 3 metres in the air! This might be an option for you, but does add cost.

Don't get too concerned about dirt, in a new estate everything will get dirty until all the houses and landscaping is complete, then the dust will settle so to speak. I'm stating the obvious of course but the roof will clean itself whenever it rains.
I've heard people talk about a darker shade being hotter. Is their any data available on the variations between the colourbond colours on how much heat transfers through?

Surfmist roof on my job

arcachon
I've heard people talk about a darker shade being hotter. Is their any data available on the variations between the colourbond colours on how much heat transfers through?

This is a good article

http://www.thefifthestate.com.au/innova ... port/60257
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum