Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

They Really Do Have Us Over A Barrel

Page 1 of 1
It has been a long 6 months to get to siteworks stage and finally feeling positive that things are happening. Then we get a call saying there is a problem with retaining and it could cost more (there was a pc sum allowed of $5300). My husband spoke to them and they agreed that there wasn't a problem at all, or not one that actually had anything to do with the retaining more future landscaping. We had had independent quotes for retaining which ranged from $3800 to $4500 then our builder said they HAD to do it and came in at $5300. Before we even signed the contract they had all the revelant info from both us and our neighbour, contours, cut/fill lines, etc. A couple of days ago we get an email to say they didn't charge us enough. Then yesterday they send an email with a variation of $2600 for retaining with no explanation as to why its suddenly jumped up so much. Nothing has changed. To make matters worse they said we would have to sign it before days end because their contractor is going on leave for a 'few' weeks. I swear this build is sending us to an early grave.
That sounds like standard practice amongst builders/contractors.. where they plan on getting their extra monies one way or by another...come in spinner and it really annoys me.
Front up with your valid quotes and have it out with your builder with a big "please explain".
Dont pu55y foot around with these people, they are used to riding roughshod over people who are too scared to speak up.
Its amazing how most won't get their most important contract ever checked by their own solicitor and instead go with a heavily bias builders group contract like hia, , which ain't the same as government standard contract, builders choose hia etc, ,has its better for themselves.
Hi joker

Could you please let me know where to get the 'government standard contract' that you mention?
You know damn well, builder was already overcharging with the $5000+ quote.
Now, they're at almost double the other quotes?

Tell them they have 2 choices: Let your guy do it for cheaper OR they can do it for their $5100 quote. No need to be rude. I'd make a joke of it, because they've been caught red-handed.

You teach people how to treat you and they're treating you like foolish cash cows.
This is the beginning.... What are they coming up with next?

Sure, trades deserve a FAIR wage, but ... consider a Registered Nurse with a University Degree + 10 years experience is paid $41/ hour.
Sure, nurses don't have tools etc. but those are a tax deduction.
Related
24/10/2023
Really really bad window installation

Windows & Doors

do not pay until you are satisfied with workmanship windows require flashing over the head archithrave and up under weatherboards

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum