Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

what order should I do walls/floor in a shed renovation?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Folks,

First post I think .. be kind

I am in the process of renovating/updating a traditional weatherboard garage which has languished at the back of my block in Brisbane, Qld. The shed was originally a one car garage with traditional weatherboard walls, concrete floor, brick footing below the weatherboard and a corrugated iron roof.

The plan is to turn it into a kind of studio / garden house with a flat slatted deck outside.

I have replaced the double doors with a new wall, covered in recycled weatherboard. cut in a box frame for a casement window which I have salvaged, patched the roof and just finished insulating the wall and roof cavities with fibreglass wool. I have cut two door openings into the long side and installed frames and french doors with parliament hingees so they can open flat against the exterior walls.

Now here is where I need help - I can't work out if I need to do the floor or walls next. the structure sits at ground level on a concrete slap with 2 courses of bricks under the timber walls.

I am a little concerned about groundwater getting through any cracks/gapes in the brickwork or up through the slab which is a series of smaller slabs about 2m x 2m.

First question:

I was hoping that there would also be someone who can tell me if there is a paint-on or spray on waterproof membrane that I can use to seal the slab and brickwork or am I just trying to overengineer things ?

I think I would like to put in a false floor and raise it up to the level of the weatherboard and then sheet the walls in either gyprock or MDF but I'm not sure what order to do that.

Second Question:

Should I sheet the vaulted roof and walls first or do the floor (incl waterproofing if required) ?

Your help or advice would be really appreciated!!
Related
28/06/2023
NCAT Order Breached

General Discussion

I am new to this forum so please bear with me. An NCAT order was breach by our neighbour regarding a retaining wall dispute. He is the owner of a building company and he…

2/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help for bathroom/laundry

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is a very tight fit, I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve what you've described. Would you consider accessing the separate toilet from the laundry? If so maybe…

22/04/2024
Floor plan renovation help

General Discussion

we need accurate dimensions as well as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms needed etc to make specific suggestions but, based on estimated rooms sizes, it could be…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum