Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Certificate of occupancy

Page 1 of 1
So my builder B Homes has issued a COO and I've done my final inspection but haven't done handover.

The builder is saying that all insurances are now my responsibility. Is this true?

So what happens if someone vandals the house even though I haven't paid the final claim and done handover?

PS I think we should have a contracts/ legal sub forum mr admin

My copy of the HIA standard Contract says. .
The Builder must maintain the insurance until the builder hands over control. (If he has the keys he has control)
I'll have to look for that clause. And yes I'm also using HIA

Thanks Bash

@bashworrh you are correct. Section 20 is the reference

If the first two are done - why no HO ?

Are there problems ? Did he offer keys ?

Still - is insurance really that much - would it be only a few weeks max ?
There are some significant defects being attended to.
No insurance is not that much in reality.

Also it is a requirement to reach "Completion"

A COO does not constitute completion.

What are the defects? I recall some of the issues you've posted about are similar to mine, so I'm curious to know what they are fixing as I'm about to do PCI and am thinking the builder is going to try and argue their way out of many of the things on my list.
The three major issues are
1. Articulation Joints don't extend up the side of my windows. Windows are hard up against bricks.
2. Gutters and fascias scratched and corroded
3. Bath not installed as per manufacturers guidelines
4. DPC does not extend through the brickwork

Quote:
1. Articulation Joints don't extend up the side of my windows. Windows are hard up against bricks

I'll be interested to see how they fix that.
As you probably already know they should have left a 10mm gap between the window frame and the brickwork and filled that gap with something like mastic to match whatever they have used to fill the gap between the bricks. Even a storm mould would be acceptable.

Stewie
Yes I suspect they will scribe the brick, pull the window out cut the brick and then reinstall the window and fill the gap with Mastic.

I'll post photos when done but am cringing at what the result will look like.

Stewie D
Quote:
1. Articulation Joints don't extend up the side of my windows. Windows are hard up against bricks

I'll be interested to see how they fix that.
As you probably already know they should have left a 10mm gap between the window frame and the brickwork and filled that gap with something like mastic to match whatever they have used to fill the gap between the bricks. Even a storm mould would be acceptable.

Stewie

Stewie without hJ this thread, should the builder have caulked around the window frame up along the brickwork?
If the window has the required 10mm gap to the brickwork then yes it should be caulked.

@Handy007

http://homefirstpropertyinspections.com ... tion-joins

You don't have to caulk it which sometimes can look real crappy if not done properly. You can put either a storm mould which clips onto the frame of the window and gets pushed up against the bricks or a small timber beading covering the gap fixed to the brickwork only. As the bricks expand and constrict the beading will slide across and back over the aluminium frame.

Stewie
Stewie D
You don't have to caulk it which sometimes can look real crappy if not done properly. You can put either a storm mould which clips onto the frame of the window and gets pushed up against the bricks or a small timber beading covering the gap fixed to the brickwork only. As the bricks expand and constrict the beading will slide across and back over the aluminium frame.

Stewie

Yes that sounds like a nice neat option. I prefer the beading if it's done to both sides.
Related
12/06/2023
Occupancy certificate

General Discussion

We are in NSW and require 2 positive covenants to be placed on the property didnt really underdtand this but apparently it will take a few months, and have just been…

1/07/2023
Partial Occupancy Certificate

General Discussion

Hi All We are about to buy a newly constructed house…

11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum