Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Does clear Laserlite let through enough lite for passive hea

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

In the process of finalising our house plans to hopefully soon be built on our land. One element I'm not sure on is our deck area.

It will be on the north side of our house and I'm fairly focused on ensuring a number of solar passive elements. Currently the design has a standard alfresco style roof that would block the direct sun from hitting our tiled slab in the living areas.

I could remove the deck roof and just have the correct width eaves for proper shading but I'd prefer to have a covered deck.

I want to know if anyone knows if the clear Laserlite would be suitable for letting through the right light and heat for passive solar heating?

Their website does say it let's through almost all light and heat, but it is UV resistant and it also mentions it let's through light in a certain spectrum.

Anyone got any thoughts or inputs?

Cheers,
Phil

we had clear laserlite on our north pergola
the bedrooms on the north side got too hot in summer
we changed to a cream translucent color laserlite and temps dropped a good 10 degrees
My gut feel is that Laserlite will have a negative impact on a passive solar design.
If the laserlite is installed nearly flat then when the sun strikes it at about 90 degrees most of the light and heat will pass through (i.e. during summer) but when the sun strikes the laserlite at a low angle (i.e. during winter) some of the heat will be reflected away. This has something to do with light bending when it passes through translucent material with a different refractive index to air.
However if the Laserlite is angled at about 30 degrees to north then more winter sun would pass through, (which is what is required for a passive solar design as passive solar design is about capturing winter sun but shading summer sun)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Something to consider with the angles. Might look into vegolas

Related
14/03/2024
PCA needed for EBH or Tyrell is good enough

Building A New House

Most of the time, council will push you out to a private certifier as it ties up their limited resources. Where a builder has gone belly up, the certifier passes the file…

20/04/2024
Is my land not elevated enough?

General Discussion

As per title, unsure if my land doesn’t have enough fill. The house on the left seems to have higher elevation. Not sure if the empty lot in between has just been…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum