Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Plastering Ceiling advise please

Page 1 of 1
I'm looking to install a gyprock ceiling. My roof trusses are spaced at a whopping 1600mm. Any advice on steel channel or timber battens that won't sag with that span would be appreciated. What size and spacing?
Are you building a commercial shed??
Have never seen trusses spaced that far apart before.
Are they timber trusses?
I would suggest you will need Intermediate Ceiling Joists and binders to close the spacings up for any batten to have a chance of working.
Hi Paul, it is a commercial space. timber trusses. I've got a photo but haven't figured how to upload it.
Light gauge steel ceiling battens battens will not work over 1600mm spans. Ceiling fixers will not like you if you use heavy gauge steel.

Similar to that suggested above, I suggest timber hanging beams (120x35 MGP10) at 1200mm centres and then light gauge steel ceiling battens fixed to the hanging beams or ceiling joists depending on the depth of the bottom chord of the trusses.
Steve
1) Upload your photos to an image hosting site like Photobucket.
2) Click on your photo that you want to post here.
3) Locate the IMG tag under "Share Links" on the right hand side of the photo.
4) Click on that IMG code line and copy it.
5) Paste that into your post here then hit the submit button.

Stewie
Having seen the trusses I would say 90x35 or 90x45 timber ceiling joists at 600mm centres, but I would also check with the truss designer that the trusses can support a plaster board ceiling.
If you don't know who the designer is, then one should get a structural assessment done as the weight of plaster board is significant
Thank you Beetaloo, do you think I'd need to remove the roof to set in extra ceiling joists or could they be put in as is?
The easiest way is to install the ceiling joists is under the bottom chord of the trusses and fix them in position using Pryda joist hangers or timber soldiers. The joists should be continuous spaning several trusses however as a plaster board ceiling weighs about twice that of a metal roof the structural assessment should be your first priority.
Thanks again, ill get an assessment for sure.
How big a distance do the trusses span from wall to wall ?

Stewie
7m wall to wall
Something like a Pryda floor truss spans 8m so that may be an option to run past your engineer.
http://selector.com/au/products/floor-trusses#img2

Stewie
The main problem here is that the trusses have probably been designed for roof load only.
As others have said, plasterboard and insulation add weight to an already
designed/engineered minimum standard because of costing.
If it was my shed,I would increase the loading capacity of the trusses.
This can be achieved by cladding both sides of the truss with brace board
glued and nailed to the cords and webs,effectivley making a solid truss.
You could then batten screw 90x35 or 90x45 on its flat to the underside
of the bottom cord @ 600c to take the plasterboard.
Of course,run this proposal by your engineer.
then get your plans drawn up

by a draftsman
then apply and pay all the associated costs for the building permit

or else be
Related
19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum