Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Considerations when Defects are Rectified by the Owner

Page 1 of 1
Dear All,

I have received an enquiry as to what matters to consider when defects are rectified by the owner as opposed to enforcing the construction contract.

I provide some of those observations below.

As many of you know, construction contracts often provide the owner with the power to require the contractor to rectify defects. The construction contract connects this power to defects liability period requirements (see my previous post on this topic). In the event that the owner takes it upon himself/herself to arrange a third party (who is not the contractor) to rectify the defects, and those defects actually exist, there is an issue as to whether the owner is entitled to recover the costs of rectification as damages from the contractor under the construction contract.

Although the position is not settled in Australia, the favoured approach suggests that the owner is not entitled to recover any of its costs paid to third parties, if he/she departs from the contractual obligations and failed to notify the contractor of the defects and give it the opportunity to rectify the defects. In circumstances where a Court has allowed the owner to recover damages against the contractor, its approach has been to limit the quantum of the owner's recovery by reference to the cost, if any, to the contractor of rectifying the defect.

An alternative approach, which appears to be less followed in Australia, is that taken in the United Kingdom which has recognised that the owner will have the common law right to damages where there is a breach of contract by the contractor resulting in defects, unless such a right is expressly, or by strong implication from the express words used, excluded from the contract.

Please let me know whether you would like any further information.

André Adams | Partner

This is general information only and not to be construed in any way as professional or legal advice. You will need to obtain your legal and professional advice on your specific individual circumstances.

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.
Related
2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

9/05/2023
Retaining wall defects - Advice needed

General Discussion

Hi All, I engaged a tradie to install concrete retaining wall 600-800mm high over 32 meters in Victoria. Sleepers are 200*75*2000 mm installed over 17 steel posts. I…

2/08/2023
DBI Claim for Defects

General Discussion

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Victoria.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum