Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Maximum stair height - is this OK?

Page 1 of 1
We are heading for PCI on Monday -finally - after a really long build.

I am concerned about the steps leading to our portico from the driveway. The first step seems REALLY high. I can't step down off it forwards, I have to turn a little to the side. This makes me think that our elderly parents are going to struggle with it, as well as the risk to our kids etc (although they are more nimble than I am).

I have looked at building codes etc and it seems that the maximum rise should be 190mm. This step is almost 300mm in the middle. Even higher towards the right side as the driveway slopes down.

Should we make an issue of this at PCI? Would they be able to come back and fix it after we move in, or would it cause a holdup in our handover?

I can live with it for a while, but I don't think it meets building standards, therefore I don't think we should have to pay to have it rectified later.

Also, the step is in line with the garage door, so we can't just build a step in front of it, as that will impede cars etc as well as cause a tripping hazard. I think it will involved pulling out the whole lot and doing them again - although it's only 3 stairs.

You are correct, the maximum rise is 190mm and all risers should be the same.

Looking at the photo you need another step at the bottom
Whose idea was it to lay the pavers on the stair treads - yours or the builder after the steps were poured?

Stewie
Hi,

I hope that downpipe collects the water or those steps will be runined in no time......
This was totally done by the builder. We didn't have steps in the initial planning at all - however our garage had to be sunk to accommodate the council guidelines, hence the addition of steps. (I wouldn't have had the post/panel retaining either, had I even noticed any of this at the planning stage. By the time we realised, it was too late).

The pavers don't affect the height issue though, regardless.

I'm not sure we can add a step at the bottom - that will protrude in front of the garage door. Although we won't be driving a car that close to the steps, it will look weird.

there is a drain directly under the down pipe, so I'm hoping that will suffice. Won't know until the Winter rains set in - although we have had a couple of decent storms this week, it won't rain properly for a few more months.

Should I make the builder rectify before we sign off and delay handover? OR can I ask that they come back and fix it?
Darcy27
I am concerned about the steps leading to our portico from the driveway. The first step seems REALLY high. I can't step down off it forwards, I have to turn a little to the side. This makes me think that our elderly parents are going to struggle with it, as well as the risk to our kids etc (although they are more nimble than I am).

About 12 years ago, a friend of mine was coming down some steps that were not as bad as those and she fell face first onto concrete. I remember that she smashed her glasses and I also remember the severe facial bruising, I forget her other injuries but I think they included a broken wrist.

Your steps are unacceptable, verge on the unbelievable and you have every right to be concerned.
If landing was at same level as top concrete you could start steps a little back allowing for an extra step making 4th step correct
Completely unbelievable! Make them take the steps out and do them again. I agree with Joker's comment.
To my old chippy's eye,it looks to me as if you have 1/300 & 3/140 risers.
Given a total of 720mm
720div x 4 =180 acceptable.
out they come and should be redone.
The builder knows,its a glaring mistake,
He's only trying to get away with it,
Maybe even builder trying to avoid a rail on the right? Bit higher might push it to a rail required.
THanks everyone. I emailed them today to say that we aren't happy, and we will talk about it at the PCI meeting on Monday, unless they reply tomorrow.

Joker, there is no rail required. The wall/barrier on the right is going to have another retaining wall built at a right angle, and backfilled. So ground level will be at the top of the stairs. No fall risk or railing needed.

It just feels uncomfortable to go up and down that first step. Its too high and feels awkward. If I was carrying something I don't think I'd be able to do it. And my Mother in law definitely wouldn't get up it without assistance.

I don't get it. The builder has been great up until now. They haven't tried to cut corners or get out of things. I can't understand why they didn't rectify it.
Exterior steps you want shallower than interior. Varying especially the last step down throws a persons expectations, which leads to tripping, so you are right to be concerned for your own safety let alone elderly relations who can suffer more significantly from a fall. Like others, I would not accept this.
The builder apparently has a couple of options to fix it - we are going to discuss it at PCI on Monday. At least they didn't put up a fight or try to tell us it was fine. It just seems weird to me that they would construct them like this, then render them, and put the pavers on top, and then leave it for 2 months…… surely someone somewhere along the process would think "This doesn't look right"?
Related
22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

29/05/2023
Stair landing on slanted driveway.

Renovation + Home Improvement

thanks Chippy, that's a awesome suggestion.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum