Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Small bedroom - king size bed

Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

Any opinions on whether this room is too small for a King Size bed?

Our room is 3.8 x 3.2 in dimensions. On the 3.8 side (the wall where the bed would realistically go), there is also a wardrobe, of approximately 700mm. So there is 3.1m/3100mm remaining.

I imagine the bed frame we are looking at is around 1950-2050mm. So we're looking at a remainder of about 1m-1.1m.

Too tight? The head says yes, the heart says no.
King size bed is 1.88m wide, 2.03m long. So with the 3.1m remaining, you are left with about 60cm each side of the bed to get out of, not including the bedframe. So it will be very tight, but depends what else you want in your bedroom.
If you want a king, there will not be room for much else in the bedroom - maybe 1 bedside table as you need the clearance on the other side to access the robe.
Thanks for the info! I note that some King frames are actually about 2m wide. So ... yeah.

Fortunately we don't tend to have a lot in the room. We will have built-ins in the wardrobe, and can live with one bedside table. We have the remainder of the house to store things in and as it's just the two of us in a two bedroom, we will have one entire wardrobe each.

So, I suppose the question is; is 55cm (maximum, probably) each side sufficient clearance.
acethekite
Thanks for the info! I note that some King frames are actually about 2m wide. So ... yeah.

Fortunately we don't tend to have a lot in the room. We will have built-ins in the wardrobe, and can live with one bedside table. We have the remainder of the house to store things in and as it's just the two of us in a two bedroom, we will have one entire wardrobe each.

So, I suppose the question is; is 55cm (maximum, probably) each side sufficient clearance.

I suggest grabbing a tape measure and marking it out on the floor to give you an idea of space. That way you can stand in the 55cm clearance and determine whether you think it is enough space. It can be hard to visualise sizes, so best to get the visial indication
Thanks. We actually don't take possession for ... about 20 days and we need to order a bed now. So I can't measure unfortunately

But might look to do it in a room here, perhaps, to see if I can visualise as you've suggested.
acethekite
Thanks. We actually don't take possession for ... about 20 days and we need to order a bed now. So I can't measure unfortunately

But might look to do it in a room here, perhaps, to see if I can visualise as you've suggested.

Yes any room will do, even outside on the grass. Just measure and mark out your room dimensions and then your king size bed/frame. While it wont be perfect, it will still give you a rough idea - just make sure it is up against at least one wall so you can see if 55cm is enough to get out of bed
Thanks for the great suggestion! Appreciated.
Get a chair and position it so that the front edge of the seat is 55cm from a wall. Better yet, get two chairs and do this with the 1st chair in the corner and the 2nd chair next to it.

Then sit "side saddle" on the chair(s) and imagine swinging your legs off the "bed" and into the gap. If you think that's enough space then your good to order your King bed.
Sorry to crash this thread...
I've just registered on homeone and can't see how I add a new post/question.
I'll be researching a lot from the phone so want to be able to post questions from it.. I can 'reply' to a post (hence this post)...
Am I missing a tab?!
Thanks
clarcran
Sorry to crash this thread...
I've just registered on homeone and can't see how I add a new post/question.
I'll be researching a lot from the phone so want to be able to post questions from it.. I can 'reply' to a post (hence this post)...
Am I missing a tab?!
Thanks

In tapatalk (assuming that is what you are using to access the forum on your phone), tap on the "homeone" title at the top, a drop down list will appear. Navigate to the forum where you want to post the topic. Once you have navigated, tap on the icon in the far right hand corner (three verical dots i think) and then select " New Topic". Then you're right to go

This is based on android - may be different for iphone..
I think if depends on what is also important to you in a bedroom. If it's purely to rest and sleep, then functionality of hopping out of bed may be your only criteria.
My wife is somewhat claustrophobic, and I'm a clutz at kicking everything, so 55cm wouldn't be close. Also, our bedroom is kinda our sanctuary-we relax, read, check H1 before bedtime. Walls 55cm from me would not feel like a sanctuary.
Some really good tips from others at testing out the space-good luck!
Thanks dalemengel.
Cheers
I think its too small personally. A bed that size n that room will make the room probably look smaller than it is aswell.
Personally - I wouldn't mind the king size if there was little else in the room (and the wardrobe had sliding doors).
The main reason for a bedroom is the bed - so go for what you really want!!

I did a quick knock-up in SketchUp using your dimensions and it looks ok to me.

Good thing is, the rest of the house looks large. So one small room we can live with. We'll only have a queen in the spare room.
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

26/03/2024
JG King Home builders delay in construction

General Discussion

So, did they give you a reason? Weather? Slab not poured??

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum