Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Packing Bottom Plate of stud wall due to uneven floor

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

I am building a stud wall in my kitchen which has an uneven floor. The floor seems to slope up to where the chimney is, so my bottom plate is not going to be sitting firmly against the floor without some special attention. The slope is not consistant either, so it is not a simple matter of letting the bottom plate sit on the floor and then use different length studs.

What should I use for shims/packing underneath the bottom plate so I can make it level? I have some new eaves linings which I was thinking of using as there is a chance that whatever I use will be exposed to moisture, being in the kitchen. I also have some masonite. I was going to make fine adjustements with sheets of wet-and-dry sandpaper.

Would any of these materials do? I am mindful that whatever I use needs to be able to withstand considerable compressions, and I don't want the framing to move after it has been gyprocked. Is there a commercial product that is designed for this kind of purpose that can withstand high pressure and moisture ?

Any advice appreciated.
Non shrink grout available from Bunnings about $20 for 29kg bag
We've shimmed bottom plates like this with treated pine ripped to size and offcuts of laminate and/or alcor folded over to suit. Both of the latter two are non absorbent.

Stewie
Related
31/01/2024
New build - uneven tiles

Building A New House

I hope this help you newhome_24, AS3958.1 is the Ceramic Tile Installation Standard. It specifies the tolerances for the installation of tiles. The tile supplier is…

14/03/2024
Building on uneven land

Building A New House

I don't think you're getting a response because you are not quite clear on what the issue is. yep, the site is not level, no site is! but are you just building a garage?…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum