Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Possum removal

Page 1 of 1
Is this something that you can do yourself and save some $ or is it something that is better left to a professional service?
If you have them in your roof space you just need a trap with some bait like a piece of apple. I think it is illegal to either harm them or relocate them. Better to just let them go but find out where they are getting in and board it up.

Stewie
Stewie is right, just trap and release them, but in the mean time try to find how they are getting inside the house and seal that off so they can't get back in.

When you release them, you are only allowed to release them in the same area where they came from as they are very territorial animals. This means you are not allowed to take them out in the bush somewhere else to release them, so finding out how they get in to your house is very important.
How much do the traps cost to hire? Also how do you know that you have removed all of the possums (i.e. will there only be one to each roof cavity?)
We have approx three ringtails in our roof and two brushtails ( usually a mother and her bub ) under the house.
I doubt there would be just one.
If you know where they are coming out of the roof space, wait until dusk when they appear and block the hole then to stop them re-entering.
Our local hire place hires them for $25 a week.
You won't need one if you do what I suggest above.

Stewie
Stewie D
We have approx three ringtails in our roof
Enjoy that possum-pee smell, do you?
Stewie D
Why? Its quite possible indeed.
Stewie D
If you know where they are coming out of the roof space, wait until dusk when they appear and block the hole then to stop them re-entering.
Agreed, or more specifically, sit and watch them leave after the sun goes down, then board up. They will all leave together, and usually return 3-3:30am.

If you are really keen, build some possum houses and relocate them there. I felt bad evicting a mother and her baby once, Mum has to secure a new home with baby on her back, so I always build a box now if thats the case. Plans and relocation tips here.

Qebtel the Possum Man.
Quote:
Enjoy that possum-pee smell, do you?

I've been up there quite a few times. Doesn't smell.

Quote:
Stewie D wrote:

Why? Its quite possible indeed.

Anytime I've experienced possums in roofs there has always been more than one. They are social animals

Stewie
My experience has bee the opposite. Often a lone possum will take up residence, and when they do tend to pee where they sleep. But maybe I had some old incontinent codgers up there.
The males will tend to be loners whereas the females tend to be a bit more social and I'm talking about the big brushtails here. And yeah I agree, the males can stink up the place something awful. A bit like billygoats. The females smell like your average goat but the males, phew, you can smell them 20m away !

Stewie
Related
25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum