Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Comparing Stria against Linea

Page 1 of 1
Is the main difference between them the way they are fixed?

Stria. "Once the first board is fixed level, the shiplapped joint on the next extra-wide, 4.2m long board is fixed to the top of the previous board and can be joined on or off the stud."

"Linea weatherboards are back bevelled to sit flush with the stud." [Quotes JH website]

Both are JH Scyon and both come with a 25 yr warranty if fixed correctly.
Former is 14mm and later 16mm.

The composition of the material from what I can tell looks the same. So I'm forming the opinion that the designer wants to use Stria because it is easier to use - on or off the stud. Mostly brick with some cladding externally and within the balconies/decks.

Being 2mm thinner I suppose it is a tad lighter as well.

Just to develop a sense of paranoia if this stuff becomes damp from behind - south wall above garage, (but not too likely in Brisbane) does it handle moisture well?

Thanks.
I installed Linea Scyon weatherboarding on my build.

A breathable sarking is required behind the weatherboards.

Linea Scyon weatherboards have a tongue & groove at each end so that they are normally joined off stud. Each join is sealed with a flexible sealant immediately prior to fixing (this ensures the joint is water proof.

Linea Scyon weatherboards are supplied primed ready for painting. They must be stored off the ground and undercover (i.e. under a tarp) prior to installation. They must not be allowed to lie in water.

Once installed they should be painted as soon as is practical.

P.S. They are difficult to cut.
It also depends on the look you are after, the linea gives the look of weather boards and the stria is more of a cladding look.
The stria is a bit quicker to install because of the recessed lap. however the narrow part of the lap is pretty easy to break before its installed.
Linea is pretty much bullet proof. Its not just a matter of throwing it on the wall, and a job done by someone who hasn't done a lot of it can look pretty ordinary.
Thank you
Stria boards are flat, and wider than linea boards. As above - linea is an alternative look to the traditional weatherboard. I gave used both- will post some pics next week.
Related
27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

16/04/2024
Hardie Linea Vs BGC Nuline Plus

Building A New House

We are building a house that was planned to be clad in Hardie Linea, our builder has now requested to swap this for BGC Nuline Plus. They look fairly similar and he has…

12/07/2023
Soil against brick shed

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I'm in WA and our sandy soils make drainage a bit easier but this is what I'd be doing. Dig down to your footings and let the wall dry out. Clean it all well by brushing…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum