Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Unsupervised sub-contractors

Page 1 of 1
I am building with a bulk builder and has realised that the building works were on "auto-pilot" and badly supervised. Basic things like the position of the windows were wrong and the bricker failed to install a control/expansion joint. No one noticed until we pointed it out to the builder.

This makes me worried about other things which were not built according to plans but could not be checked because the plastering are already up.

Has anyone had this bad experience?
yes thousands of others have such problems. You must be new here. Welcome to Australian House building.
What do they intend to do about the missing expansion joint ?
Hi ant14
Yes this seems to be a problem industry wide...the secret is to rectify the problem or find a solution before the trades move on and sometimes the remedial work can be costly and inadequate.
eg. expansion and control joints can be cut in, in some cases, not so if articulated joints are required.If you post up some images and further info I'll take a quick look.HTH
Any large building company is the same! We recently built our house with a large building company and came across a few things like that but all easily fixable and the *foreman* was so arrogant about anything that was brought up. Its a shame that we need to be SO vigilant with checking over their work.. I thought that's what they were being paid for????
Most the really good trades who have good business skills end up been the good smaller builders,unfortunately most people engaging volume builders don't check anything at all to do with their structure and what is in between and under their walls, you are mad if you build without your own inspector,if only all would ask what's in my walls instead of what stone do I get.
Or "what shade of grey do you think is best?"
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum