Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Meter Box wrong location from plans

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Dont know if this is all that common but on our plans the electrical meter box is on the LHS on the side of the garage and the builder has placed it on the RHS which is on the side of the master bedroom. We asked the builder pre-contract to place it on the garage wall because we didn't want the meter box to be right where our heads are when we sleep. Both sides of the house are 2.2m from the boundary.The meter box is concreted in the slab so its there for good, we are very disappointed they haven't followed the plans so early in the build.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
The meter box is usually on the same side of the house as the supply point from the street.
I was quite clear that I wanted both electric and gas meters in one location and had it shown on the plans. The plumber obviously didn't look at the plans and ran the pipes to the other side of the house.

After some argument the gas meter location was moved to my preferred location.

Can be a bit more difficult to move a meter as this is installed early in the piece.
Thanks Bashworth,

Shouldn't this be investigated before the building permit is arranged? And shouldn't the owner be notified of any changes to plans that have been signed and dated? Ive had no communication regarding this from my builder, its probably not a big issue for many but it is to us.
The building permit is issued on the plans submitted, and is subject to those plans. Changes are not allowed without approval by council. Your building contract does not allow changes except with your approval either.

They've just stuffed it up because someone didnt pay attention. Very common unfortunately. You have a right to demand it as the plans specify.
Thanks Qebtel,
I will discuss this with the builder, no doubt they will try to get out of it

Will keep you guys updated
what does it say in the contract? if its not in the contract or project spec and you havent paid for extra mains then you probably wont get it.
Ive paid for 15 lineal meters, they have probably run around 7m in total
If thats the case demand what you paid for.
Thanks Mgilla,

I don't know why they try it on, oh well i guess after fixing this they'll be referring to that plan from now on.
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home