Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

solar electric

Page 1 of 1
wasn't sure where to put this question, so guessed general.

I have solar on my property, and when installed the old analogue meter was left as is, we sent the paperwork of to synergy and have waited ever since. We are selling up within the next 6 months, and it concerns me that that the meter is still analogue and not digital, and that synergy have yet to respond.

has anyone else had this problem.

so what do i do from here. will i get slogged for a hefty bill from synergy, this seems a tad unfair if that's the case as although i have not had huge bills, ive paid what i have used from the grid, the rest is from my own source.

if anyone can shed some light on this for me of what to do its greatly appreciated.
If it's the old analog spinning dial meter, chances are you were effectively on a Net Feed in, where you used your solar generated power first, then used grid if the solar wasn't enough.

Most if not all analog spinning disc meters ran backwards when you were pumping more back in to the grid, so you would have effectively got a FiT of what your normal peak tariff would have been.

If you mentioned your state, someone from there might have a better answer for you, but I'm taking a guess that you might be in WA. You might like to alter your profile like I have to indicate your approximate location.
Yes i am in WA.

yes the analogue dial does run in reverse if we are not using all the power, what is FiT?

I am guessing the same applies throughout Australia, so am wondering if the power companies try and slog people, even if paperwork was mailed to them, when eventually getting the meter changed over.
I've got solar HW and E. E seems ok - but it took forever to finally get everything done - paperwork etc etc.

BUT - is there a way to actually know that solar HW is working - besides turning off booster. AND - is it worth turning off booster ...
lovejones
Yes i am in WA.

yes the analogue dial does run in reverse if we are not using all the power, what is FiT?

I am guessing the same applies throughout Australia, so am wondering if the power companies try and slog people, even if paperwork was mailed to them, when eventually getting the meter changed over.

FiT = Feed in Tariff

So whilst the dial runs in reverse, you are getting a FiT of whatever your peak tariff might happen to be.

In these days of no or very low FiT's an old disk meter could be giving you a better deal than a new meter giving you minimal FiT.

They can not back charge you what they think you might have used, so I wouldn't be worried about that. After all, you did send the paperwork in, and you really have to assume that it did get to them in the post (you can't be held to account if Aussie Snail lost them in transit).

I've heard in another forum, that there was an inordinately high number of applications that supposedly never got through for unknown reasons.

In your case, I'd be giving them a call once you have a contract on your house, and give them a rev up to get the new meter put on, and if they then tell you that they never got your paperwork, you can resend it through.

You must remember that you have done nothing wrong, you sent off the original paperwork in good faith.
Ok I might post my question here. Didn't find much else on a search.

I just scored myself 40 x 100ah 12v polymer gel Narda batteries. Not sure if I should set a system up with them or not or just put in a standard solar system.

The problem I'll have is that the battery bank will be approx 40m from my DB board

Once you get technical on solar you may be better trying the energy matters forum

http://forums.energymatters.com.au/active-topics.html
Re HWS Booster.

Put a temperature gauge (simple digital thermometer from ebay with an external probe) on your wall and only switch the booster on when you need hot water and the temperature is below 36. Mine takes less than half an hour to "top up" the hot water.

The way a booster normally works, it will come on after you have used your hot water for showers etc and then keep it hot for the next 24 hours until you need it again....a great way to waste power.
Thanks bash

I can't even register on energy matters forum because I can't figure out their stupid anti bot questions. Why do they need to be so difficult

Crazyk
I can't even register on energy matters forum because I can't figure out their stupid anti bot questions. Why do they need to be so difficult

The EM forum like many others, experience a lot of spammers registering and then spamming the forum full of their crap.

Persist with it, if you're interested in solar it will be to your benefit.
Hey BP

Yeah I finally got it but ffs I'm hopeless at stuff like that took me ages

Related
25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

5/01/2024
Electric gate for s Street front villa

General Discussion

Hi all. I'm thinking of installing an electric gate in front of this street front villa (link below). The gate would be between the bush on the left and the letter box on…

27/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The tank is around 200 litres (I am on holiday for the next 6 weeks so can't check) The Heat Pump has a built in time switch. No idea on the speed to heat because with…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum