Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Shed wall on boundary being used as a retaining wall- advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

My shed is built on the boundary with a Childcare Centre.

This Centre had built a retaining wall up against the wall of the shed which they have now added a garden bed to, but this garden is built higher and they are using the shed wall as the retaining wall.

This has caused issues with flooding through my shed as well as future corrosion issues.

The director of the centre really has no idea, and I was wondering what my options are to get this resolved?

Waynne
I would say your first step would be the council as they would seem to be unlikely to have a permit for this 'Retaining Wall'.
Your option is the same as any such boundary dispute

1. Talk to the Centre Manager/Director in person, and tell them you will follow up with a written notice (for legal purposes).
2. Follow up with a written notice, informing them that council will be informed if nothing is done.

I dont think it needs to go further. The BCA , I think, states any retaining wall over 1.0 metres needs engineering and compliance. Irrespective, if a neighbours action causes water to ingress on your property in a way that it did not previously, and inconveniences you , I believe it is councils job to police that.
Related
4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

3/12/2023
Building on boundary retaining wall

Building A New House

Hello, We are about to build and the plans show a part of the exterior wall is being built on top of a limestone retaining wall. Does this mean the retaining wall will…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum