Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

New house/Tiles cracking

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, we've been in our new house a few months now and the floor tiles in our main bathroom keep cracking close to the wall,6 in total so far,we are still in our maintenance period so are getting fixed. Does anyone have an idea what would cause this? It isn't a large bathroom and tiles are small square. The response we've had from the site manager hasn't been helpful,he just said( gee that's wierd,yeah I don't know).we have numerous cracks forming all over the house, our sliding door has also pulled away from the brickwork,sad to say the longer I've been in the house the more I'm unhappy with the overall finish of the house. I'm guessing there is some movement happening in the house. Has anyone else been through this? What if the tiles are still cracking after our maintenance period is up? Thanks all.
It happened to us too but not so fast! One thing to check for is whether the gap where the floor meets the wall is filled with grout or silicone. It is supposed to be flexible to allow for movement but builders don't always take the time to do it right and just put grout all over and grout isn't flexible enough. Btw is the cracking in areas where there is waterproofing underneath cos that will need to be redone too.
I have been in my house for 18 months. After 12 months of living in the house, I noticed cracks in 3 tiles, in powder room flooring near where it meets wall. because I am outside maintenance period now, I have not even bothered to inform my builder. I am concerned though, in case cracks keep happening in future as well. tiles are 200 by 200.
CC101
I have been in my house for 18 months. After 12 months of living in the house, I noticed cracks in 3 tiles, in powder room flooring near where it meets wall. because I am outside maintenance period now, I have not even bothered to inform my builder. I am concerned though, in case cracks keep happening in future as well. tiles are 200 by 200.

Near where the wall meets the floor again. Have you checked whether its grout or silicon?

I know its outside the maintenance period and ours was too but what if its because the builder did it wrong? It seems to me that if the deterioration is due to not being done in a correct and durable way in the first place rather than simply minor settling and general wear and tear, then there ought not be a time limit on the builder's responsibility for it.
Thanks for your replys. Ours is silicon. The tiler is coming back soon to fix the current three broken tiles,he's fixed a few already. I'm a bit concerned with some of the cracks in our house,we were told that some cracking in the cornices etc is normal,but these are cracks in the middle of the wall. :\
That does sound like more movement than normal.
That does sound concerning. I'd probably get an independent building inspector.
Related
28/05/2023
Cracking Hebel root cause analysis

General Discussion

How wide are cracks? Can post some photos

31/01/2024
New build - uneven tiles

Building A New House

I hope this help you newhome_24, AS3958.1 is the Ceramic Tile Installation Standard. It specifies the tolerances for the installation of tiles. The tile supplier is…

26/06/2023
New House

Building A New House

Yes well there solution is to blame everyone else while I a 65yr old woman with major medical problems have to just continue to boil water and wash myself in a bucket…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum