Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Savings - Electricity ?

Page 2 of 2
I'm guessing you have your hot water on off peak ?

Just get an extra circuit on that side, and chances are is that your sparky will only need to put in another circuit breaker, and swap the cable across to it.

In Qld, you can put anything on to off peak provided that it is hardwired in, but there was one exception that you could have a pool pump remain as a plug in device on off peak.
NO - no off peak at the moment.

Its why I'm looking at the 18 hours one - not the overnight only.
Sorry - I do have solar hot water though and solar E.
To find out exactly what appliances are using I'd go with cigness's suggestion of a plug-in power meter. It doesn't have to be an expensive one either. Even the cheapies that are $25-$30 will give you an idea of what those appliances are using to the nearest watt.
Switching over whatever you can to off peak is a good idea though as well.

Stewie
Saint Mike
All ideas, tips and help welcomed ...

I would be looking at the current pump and comparing it to the cost savings when using a variable speed drive pump. You might still be eligible for a rebate, it would pay to check now.

Using a pool blanket also cuts down on the required pump run time.

There are many simple ways to reduce power consumption in other areas. Filling a jug with only the required amount of water and not filling it when making a cuppa saves time as well as energy.

Using cold instead of hot water in the laundry also saves a lot of energy.

Using a solar clothes dryer (they don't cost much) instead of a tumble dryer saves lots of energy AND eliminates a potential fire risk (built up lint).

Deciding first what TV programs to watch rather than sitting down and turning the TV on saves time and energy consumption.

If you have a dark living area that needs the lights on, consider installing a sky light.

Don't use stand by power. There is no need to leave microwave ovens and a host of other electrical items on when not in use.

When you buy new electrical items, check their electrical consumption.

If you have a water bed, throw a good blanket over it when not in use.
Thanks SaveH20:

I would be looking at the current pump and comparing it to the cost savings when using a variable speed drive pump. You might still be eligible for a rebate, it would pay to check now.
- I have one that I can alter the revs on - is this what you mean. It starts higher for 5 minutes then can drop down to a speed I set.

Using a pool blanket also cuts down on the required pump run time.
-Tell my wife this ...

There are many simple ways to reduce power consumption in other areas. Filling a jug with only the required amount of water and not filling it when making a cuppa saves time as well as energy.
- Do this - good idea.

Using cold instead of hot water in the laundry also saves a lot of energy.
- Do this.

Using a solar clothes dryer (they don't cost much) instead of a tumble dryer saves lots of energy AND eliminates a potential fire risk (built up lint).
- Is this the sun ?

Deciding first what TV programs to watch rather than sitting down and turning the TV on saves time and energy consumption.
- I know - but I'm a surfer ...

If you have a dark living area that needs the lights on, consider installing a sky light.
- Have this.

Don't use stand by power. There is no need to leave microwave ovens and a host of other electrical items on when not in use.
- But, hard to turn off - when socket is at rear.

- Good idea.

If you have a water bed, throw a good blanket over it when not in use.
- Don't have one.
Saint Mike

- I have one that I can alter the revs on - is this what you mean. It starts higher for 5 minutes then can drop down to a speed I set.

That's the type.

Saint Mike
-Tell my wife this ...

HaHa! No thanks!

Saint Mike
- Is this the sun ?

Yep.

Saint Mike
- I know - but I'm a surfer ...

Aaah! Real bad habit and hard to get out of. Suppose we are all allowed some vices.

Saint Mike
- Good idea.

Many new devices also use little stand by power but the information can be hard to find. ReNew magazine, published by the Alternative Technology Association, is a good read and has a lot of information about energy efficient products etc. Going by your obvious attention to detail, I am confident that you are aware of the magazine.
I'm looking forward to the day when we tile our roof with solar chargers and run everything from the sun.
Organised the electrician to come and do whatever they do. Then they advise one lot and I advise another, and then they do whatever they do and eventually off-peak power comes to the house for the pool line.
Saint Mike, I have just the article for you!

The Japanese engineer calling for a life without electricity

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... lectricity

And he even has a poem on his website:

Human bore electricity
Electricity bore convenience
Convenience bore obesity
....Then....I'll reduce electricity

Human increased electricity
Electricity increased CO2
CO2 increased troubles
.....Then...I'll reduce electricity

But.....

Reducing electricity reduces convenience
Reducing convenience reduces time
Reducing time reduces money
Reducing money reduces happiness

....Is it true ?

His website: http://www.hidenka.net/etop.htm

All shamelessly lifted from the ATA Forum
Thanks for that ...

I got off-peak on - finished - yesterday. Will watch and report back.

With my solar HW and E and off-peak for all of the pool stuff - heater and pump - I hope it will mean less outlay ... and CO2 ... Hai !!!

And happiness ...
Hi all, the offpeak rate seems high i just signed up with new supplier 9.97c offpeak 20.3 peak plus gst.
our bills range from 200 winter/ 380 summer

We have 2.0kw solar , 3 phase refrigerated AC which gets a big workout over summer and an inground pool and Spa. TOU with all this stuff is the key to saving money. Located in Melbourne
that sound real cheap to me, who is the supplier?

i got email from EA and they are putting up prices again in jan over the 28c per kw general tariff.

mixo
kassan1973
Hi all, the offpeak rate seems high i just signed up with new supplier 9.97c offpeak 20.3 peak plus gst.
our bills range from 200 winter/ 380 summer

We have 2.0kw solar , 3 phase refrigerated AC which gets a big workout over summer and an inground pool and Spa. TOU with all this stuff is the key to saving money. Located in Melbourne

Hahaha. Come to regional NSW. Peak about 33c/kWh, offpeak 13, and the real kick in the guts, the daily supply charge is $1.40

TOU is 36 peak, 14 offpeak and still 36 for the shoulder period.

Add a lousy 8cfeed in tarrif with solar and were being well and truly screwed compared to your rates.
seano also from regional nsw and yes getting the 8c feed in tarriff.
here i even pay higher petrol prices especially holiday times.
have a 5kw twenty panel solar system .
was advised to set up all the pool pump etc for mid morning (around 10am)
this seems to work ok. electricity bill is around 250 per quarter.
will be interested to see bill with all the hot weather here and see how it goes.
mixo

i got email from EA and they are putting up prices again in jan over the 28c per kw general tariff.

mixo

Simply energy, i was surprised i can get another 2% off if i direct debit as well. i was with momentum energy who were a hydro supplier from Tassie had good supply charge 70c day with great rates as no carbon tax,they just couldnt match simplys rates.

hope this helps
kassan1973
mixo

mixo

Simply energy, i was surprised i can get another 2% off if i direct debit as well. i was with momentum energy who were a hydro supplier from Tassie had good supply charge 70c day with great rates as no carbon tax,they just couldnt match simplys rates.

hope this helps

Oh lordy. Simply energy have probably the most atrocious reviews of any retailer, I hope you don't have the same issues as other people have had.

Simply energy also don't have any plans for customers with solar so aren't even an option for me.

seano
kassan1973
mixo

mixo

hope this helps

Oh lordy. Simply energy have probably the most atrocious reviews of any retailer, I hope you don't have the same issues as other people have had.

Simply energy also don't have any plans for customers with solar so aren't even an option for me.

Its not that hard i can veiw all my usage online through Jemena website and compare to bill and yes they do have a solar tariff as i am on it its a T10 TOU. all avail in Melbourne.
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum