Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Question of paint coats

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I am currently at the early stage of building with one of the volume builder.
I have a question which might sounds silly. Today I had a tender appointment and was told that the number of coats for internal walls is 2 instead of 3 as stated in the brochure. They claimed it is 3 because it includes the undercoat. It doesn't sound right to me, but still not sure as I'm not expert in this. Any comments. please?
Hi connexion,

This is stand with all project homes and some private builders.

Really when you think of it, it’s perfectly ok.

It’s a new home with new walls, 1 undercoat and 2 top coats is all you should need. It’s not like your trying to paint over 30 years of other paint colours.

Good luck, hope you enjoy building.
To me if the walls are bare plaster they need an undercoat then two top coats

if the painter is by the book they always use an undercoat and then two top coats on previously painted surfaces

SOME painters in new homes and large appartment blocks use two coats only on bare plasterboard one is a base coat (cheep flat acrylic) tinted in the colour of choice
then the second is the top coat tinted to the colour
the problem with this (in most cases) is that you dont get the maximum durability out of the paint

oh and another thing if they are spraying the walls make sure they lay if off with a roller this makes it possible to touch up where the dead flat finish that you get with spraying it is impossible to touch up

hope this helps

EGGENZ 2006
Speaking of painting bare plaster - what do you recommend as a good undercoat. I'm after something that will seal the plaster really well and provide a good bond for the topcoat.
Go to the hardware and tell them you need a sealer for new plaster work.

Check with them, a sealer might be all you need, then you can do your top coats?

I find it hard keeping up with it all, every time I turn around there’s a new product on the market!
Related
8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

24/09/2023
Most affordable paint brand

General Discussion

Thank you. That is really helpful. Once we get the place done and passed for OC we can upgrade in the future once we get back on our feet and not paying mortgage and rent.

23/12/2023
How to fix gaps, nail holes, cracked wall/paint from skirtin

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi there, I just recently received my new house from my builder. We handed the house to another company to deal with the…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum