Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Bal12.5 bifold flyscreen?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, we are currently trying to finalise the purchase of a land in Kellyville.

It is situated in a Bal12.5 rating and the house we are trying to build needs flyscreen on all openable doors and windows.

So is it possible to put an external aluminium flyscreen with bifold doors?

Which company can do it?

Thanks
Interesting... we are BAL 12.5 here in Mt Barker SA, we have paid our bushfire contingency ($5,500 or something like that) and it has all the requirements on our plans, but the sliding door to our laundry, study and our 5.5 meter stacker doors dont have flyscreens, just the upgraded metal mesh ones to the windows.... And the local houses in the neighbourhood dont seem to have them on sliding doors, or any doors for that matter. So I have no idea whether they enforce that or not... well clearly not in Mt Barker anyway!
There is no requirement to have flywire doors to bifold doors to meet BAL12.5. (The frame & glazing must comply)
http://www.ehiaustralia.com.au/flyscreens/fire-rated-screens
Says I need aluminium mesh fly screen on all opening parts of windows and doors, so I am confused now?
Is this what you're after?

http://www.uneeka.com.au/product/bifold-solutions/
Hi Wombie,

What i am after is an external aluminium mesh Fly screen for bifold doors but it looks like impossible so it looks like I might get a sliding or stackable door instead.

thanks
Not sure if they can fit BAL rated screens, but this company may be helpful.....we're going to be getting them to do the flyscreen for our bi-fold door....

http://www.freedomscreens.com.au/
Hi Lalabk,

That's not right. Sliding doors don't need metal screens in a BAL12.5. Just the windows.

The reasoning for that is if a brushfire were to come people are likely to close(and lock) all the doors but may for get about windows. Get your builer to check with their certifier/council. I'm sure they will be stoked to find put that they don't need to put the metal screens on doors.

This does not change due to state as it is determined by the Australian Standard AS3959(2009).
Thanks ELL
Hi I was going to agree with ELL. 12.5 is relatively low. Also, provided your doors comply you don't need to have metal screens.
We are Bal 12.5 and have to have aluminium screens fitted to all windows and doors. We have three sets of stacker doors, but no bifolds. Friends of ours are BAL 12.5 as well and they do not have to have screens on doors at all - go figure.
Side hung external doors including french doors, panel fold & bi-fold doors and sliding doors are not required to be screened to comply with BAL12.5 but the assemblies, glazing etc must comply.
Hi - ausdesign is right. According to the AWA Australian Window Association, french doors, bi-fold doors and sliding doors are not required to be screened to comply with BAL12.5 provided the door's assemblies, glazing etc comply. They have a document with is readily available on line is you need more information.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68180#p1104069 - Always best to confirm with your council for peace of mind.
Related
13/03/2024
Attaching a flyscreen in a rental

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Follow up question - any ideas on how to set up a portable air conditioner through this kind of window?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum