Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Tall Garage Ceiling with Panel Lift Door

Page 1 of 1
We have just reached the plastering stage of the house, and have realised that our garage ceiling height is quite high however the garage door size is the normal size. So this means our ceiling is 2910 high, whilst the door is only 2150 high.

First question - is there a way to install the panel lift door so far down from the ceiling? and if so....
Second question - can we make use of this space up above the door? I am thinking maybe some sort of storage space (any ideas?) I am just thinking the garage s about 5.5m wide, and there is almost a metre height up there, maybe we can use this space to our advantage???
I believe they sometimes need to use a lowering frame for the door mechanism. If you know what I mean....

We increased the height of our garage door (our ceilings are only 2.7m though).

And I've seen these racks which seem to be a great idea for storage in a garage:

l by Em_Brisbane, on Flickr
In fact you can see on that photo how the door pulling motor thingy (technical!) is lowered down from the ceiling to get to the right height.
That is EXACTLY what we are after. Thank you so much Emy. Having no room for a shed in the back yard, these will be perfect.
Oh yeah you can too. You have really made my day. This was something that we have not really realise, I am so glad we can use it to our advantage for extra storage space.
Oh yay! Hehe, glad I could help. I'm not actually sure where to source these though. I'm sure if you google around you'll find something. Also I imagine the roof trusses would need to be reinforced....perhaps. Good luck with it all!
Already been googling these. Didn't think of the roof trusses needing reinforcing, will have to ask hubby about it. Thank you again
If you find a Melbourne supplier / installer for these overhead racks be sure to post their details here (or PM me!).

HD
Will do Lurgen
Here you go:

http://www.garagestorageworld.com.au/pr ... d-storage/
Wow they are not cheap for what is essentially an upside down shelf with bolts! :s
Thanks for sharing such nice storage idea. But expensive though.

It can be put together with little bit if welding skills.
Related
15/12/2023
Fill & Slab vs. Tall stumps

Building A New House

If you're in a flood zone, not only are you dealing with the importation of fill and laying it down in 150 lifts to achieve compaction, you're going to have to consider…

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum