Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Zone costs with the Big Builders

Page 1 of 1
I'm looking at building but not in a new estate but on my own block of land.

As such, Henley are charging $6000 to build in my zone.

My questions is, has anyone successfully negotiated to not pay the zoning fee? If so what are your tips and tricks.

I can't see how it can cost an extra $6000 to build outside of a new estate, I mean I have to pay site costs on top of this anyway.

Thanks,
How far out of town are you?? How far from the "usual" new building areas?
Well I'm not further out, I'm closer to the city which when you think about it should be closer to their suppliers.

Im in Melbourne Northern suburbs.
Some councils have quite onerous development controls which can add cost on terms of processing effort. New estates have specific building and siting requirements and due to familiarity it is easy for the builders to comply with estate / council requirements. Designs often go through the estate developers first and this means that there is better chance few changes will be needed to submitted plans at council DA stage.

Fewer new builds also occur in the existing suburbs. That means their supervisors generally have to travel out of their way to manage your build. This time would add up over the duration of your build.

Not really trying to defend the builders but the additional costs would be a reality.
Hey Maximus... Yes i can understand that their SS need to Travel, but gee It can't be that expensive.

In any case, if we choose to go with one of these big builders I'll let you know how I go, but appreciate every ones thoughts.

Cheers.
Hi Crazyk, We are going to built in Strathfield and Wisdom has charged 10k for this
and their argument is most of the tradies live in the west and they have to travel day in day out!!!
AAAHome
Hi Crazyk, We are going to built in Strathfield and Wisdom has charged 10k for this
and their argument is most of the tradies live in the west and they have to travel day in day out!!!

Assuming traddies are paid for travel there might be something in that but not sure if its the case. Maybe divide the build contract time by $10000. EG 40week build=200 working days \$10000= $50 a day. Might give a better idea how reasonable it is.
Related
3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

2/04/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Hi All It has been a few weeks since my last update. The build has been progressing well. No major issues to report. The scaffolding was dropped today, gyprock will be…

13/01/2024
Bidet - RPZ (Reduced Pressure Zone) valve

Bathrooms and Laundry

First time building 2 storey home, is under construction (in Framing stage) in NSW. I have 3 toilets and need bidet spray in…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum