Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

land appraisal

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows why the value of land appraisal might come lower than the buying price? We just received the loan approval from the bank but the value of the land is actually significantly lower than our buying price..we are definitely devastated
That happened to us as well. The banks use an independent valuer so you can try asking for a different one. We didn't as we really liked the location, it did mean that we had a tighter budget for the build.

They base the prices on recent sales in the area... Do a bit of your own research, what has land based on your size sold for?

The other thing is to resubmit the loan with the house contract with it... Ours land was valued for less but when we submitted the building contract it came out as exact so it worked out for us in the end but I didn't splurge in some areas I would have otherwise so kinda a blessing... We may have been over capitalising if we didn't need to stick with our budget.
Disregard. I was on the wrong track.
We originally agreed to purchase the land for $125,000 however the bank only valued it at $115 we managed to re negotiate the price down to $122, for us it basically meant a frantic phone call to our parents to come up with the $7000 difference as we were borrowing 95%. We are hoping that the bank valuation is a little better when we go to build as we were one of the first to buy in our subdivision so the bank didn't have a lot to compare to.
1sttimebuilding2012 we bought the land and the bank has approved the loan.is it gona make a difference if we get the 2nd appraiser?. Its prob our mistake too that we made a rush decision
Hi rachi, so did u negotiat3 with the real estate agent? I didnt know we could do that. We signed the contract to the agreed price tag, i dont know if we can negotiate that..but my partner will contact our solicitor today to look at options..i suppose..
Land valuation is not an exact science. Get 5 valuations and they will likely all be different, and possibly even to a large degree.

Valuations is just someones opinion. Form your own well researched opinion. You have the time to see all sorts of things that a valuer who pops around for 2 mins (if he even does visit) will never be privy to.
Thanx qebtel
spacey529
Hi rachi, so did u negotiat3 with the real estate agent? I didnt know we could do that. We signed the contract to the agreed price tag, i dont know if we can negotiate that..but my partner will contact our solicitor today to look at options..i suppose..

Our conveyancer dealt with the agent, as our contract was subject to finance and with out finding additional funds or them lowering the price the sale would not have gone thought. The block had been on the market for a while tho and there is a lot of new subdivisions in my area so the seller was keen to get rid of it.
We went for a 2nd opinion today. The guy said that the bank should have let us know that the land value is lower than the buying price before the cooling off period of the contract. She should have liaised with us with all these. When we asked her opinion about the land evaluation she made us feel like a couple of idiots who should have done their homework before buying the land. As a matter of fact, in the beginning she was the one who encouraged us to go ahead with buying the land!! She even been giving us conflicting information throughout this process!! So now we are thinking to change the financial institution..never again dealing with this particular bank. Im certainly disgusted!!
Related
31/07/2023
Buying untitled land for a development

Buying Land

Yeah I don't know why I came to a forum. Place is full of wierdos/pedos thought internet may help but I suppose I'll try my luck with someone in person. Cheers. I tried…

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Landscape & Garden Design

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

14/09/2023
New house land/slab drainage?

General Discussion

Thanks for the heads up mate, greatly appreciated 👍

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum