Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Buy Land then look for builder or House&Land package?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there! Newbie here

I am currently looking at the Hills area (rouse hills, kellyville) and have been looking for house&land packages but mostly are on the $600k to $700k range.

Today, I found a land selling for $399k and so I searched for home builders and found affordable ones with Clarendon Homes. Probably there are better ones but they cost around the high $100k range.

This saves me around $50k if buying a land first then choosing a builder.

Any feedback on this approach?
I prefer buying block separately as I think the blocks are better than those used by the builders that offer packages ( see: http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/hou ... good-idea/)
ebanster
Hi there! Newbie here

I am currently looking at the Hills area (rouse hills, kellyville) and have been looking for house&land packages but mostly are on the $600k to $700k range.

Today, I found a land selling for $399k and so I searched for home builders and found affordable ones with Clarendon Homes. Probably there are better ones but they cost around the high $100k range.

This saves me around $50k if buying a land first then choosing a builder.

Any feedback on this approach?

What size home are you looking to build? how many bedrooms? Single or double-story?

So are you aiming for total cost under $600k?

Ignore the price lists that are in the displays - they are meaningless by the time site costs, council / estate requirements, etc added the price can quickly build up. Many builders also don't included floor coverings, landscaping, driveways, etc.

Be careful of the slope and soil type of blocks you look at because this can significantly affect build cost. A block that looks like good value may not be good value due to site costs.
Over here in WA there isn't really any difference in total cost for house&land package VS buy land then choose builder.

I would prefer to pick my block first and then organise a builder but if the budget was tight and we were looking at a bare minimum deposit then I would go house and land package just for the simplicity.
Thanks for the tips! Noted on the soils, etc.

Yes, my aim is to have it below $600k (buffer is low $600k).
I found a house with a modern architectural design with the following features:
single storey
190sqm
3 beds/2 baths/1 car

The only thing I don't like about house&land packages is that I am limited to choose from their home designs.
i too like the idea of buying land first then you can choose your home the way you want it.
We purchased the land first, finding a large block in a quiet cul de sac in a new area and then went looked at building companies also

This makes it two rather than one purchase though, so more paperwork and fees with the bank
There are actually many advantages to finding a builder before you buy land, aside from cost. I'm not talking so much about a house and land package, as actually finding a builder who you trust enough to go forward with. When you find a builder who works with your terrain, and in your area, and who has integrity and is a good communicator (and don't bother with ANY builder who doesn't tick all those boxes) then that builder can actually guide you through some of the complexities of land purchase also. They will understand the implications of easements in terms of where you can build on a block, and if they have a repertoire of solutions for different kinds of terrain such as hilly blocks, or challenging blocks, they may be able to open up possibilities for you that you would not otherwise consider. This sometimes makes bargains affordable that you can then work with to create a beautiful home. I sometimes think that the right builder is like a "Sherpa" who help climbers up Mount Everest.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

15/10/2023
Builder want us to scrap the land to soil

Building A New House

Sounds like rubbish to me. Ask for the contamination report which I doubt they have. If it's part of a normal subdivision it would have had a contamination report done…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum