Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Concrete or paving around slab

Page 1 of 2
We are still in the early stages of our house design. I'm after some thoughts if there is any difference using pavers or concrete to protect the slab?

Our current house has paving, but to me it seems that water can get through there more easily than concrete.

Any issues/benefits of using concrete or paving?

Thanks!
When we built part of the warranty stated that perimeter concrete paving had to be installed to avoid water ingress to the footings or we risked the warranty becoming void
Thanks... i thought concrete paving is the way to go too. I'm just a bit puzzled as to why our current house (circa 2005) has paving instead of concrete as it wouldn't provide as much of a barrier for water.
Maybe there is a builder's plastic under the pavers?? Or some other waterproof material ...
You can always do 75mm slab as primary foundation protection and then have it as base for pavers, just make sure your levels and grades are OK
paving is fine as long as level is such that water is flowing away from house.
I have been wondering the same thing as we are about to build and have been reading the Csiro guide lines. I was wondering about doing pavers to and using a good road base under them with the correct fall. Any more thoughts and would doing pavers that way be cheaper then concrete ?
Road base is porous material and would not be a good option. You need protective apron with impervious material.
building-expert
Road base is porous material and would not be a good option. You need protective apron with impervious material.

So having road base then paving won't be good enough ?
No. because you have gaps between pavers and water will go straight through crushed rock. As 2870 talks about unsuitability of granular fill around reactive soil sites.
Can you use cement to brush between the pavers to seal them or some thing like that ?
I thought the pavers were porous, so would still let water through
Doesn't seem like many options but to have ugly concrete
No, you can still have the pavers but use 75mm concrete apron underneath instead of road base.
building-expert
No, you can still have the pavers but use 75mm concrete apron underneath instead of road base.

This!

You can even have loose pebbles, cobble stones, or something else if you go this route.

Edit:
From my (granted, quite limited) reading of various rules, there is nothing to stop you from having the watertight apron be at a lower level than the actual surface. It's to stop water falling in around the foundation/slap and creating havoc down there. So as long as you get something sturdy that directs the water away from that, you are good to go.
Just sounds expensive is all
Well, it's to protect the very foundation of your house. Without it, it will turn out much mroe expensive in the long run.
Yes I realize this. A lot of people don't do it
I'm getting concrete around the slab. Fortunately I've found a good concreter, his concrete slopes the correct way and drains off into a drain near the garage.
And around the rest of the house will just slope away from the house slab itself.
How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking. And how many squares is your house
Related
15/12/2023
Suitable material for build up around slab

Building A New House

Not recommended! The image presented is for a sublevel area. The footings are down deep with a load bearing wall supporting the upper floor level. If you did that drain…

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum