Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Has anyone rectified slab heave successfully

Page 45 of 50
Some builders still flaunt all of the rules and treat their clients with disrespect. Simply unbelievable what goes on.
I did three frame inspections yesterday, all had roof on and none had temporary downpipes installed and connected to drains.
One had water puddle 12 inches from the slab edge. Here we go again, so I took plenty of photos for evidence and to put in my report.
insider
Starting to see a new wave of slab heave houses constructed between 5/2015-6/2016 it's all happening again.Looks like we have learnt nothing from the pre 2011 slab heave houses.

Is there something about that particular period that is making the houses more vulnerable?
Maybe plenty of work around.
You would think cowboys would even get work when there's plenty to go around.

Looking at new home approvals, March 2015 seemed to be the peak, so the more work, the more chances, poor work will effect more builds.
Education, research, hire the right people including knowledgeable inspector not including builder provided inspectors, in short boy do we need more good inspectors like building expert.

Liliana
insider
Starting to see a new wave of slab heave houses constructed between 5/2015-6/2016 it's all happening again.Looks like we have learnt nothing from the pre 2011 slab heave houses.

Is there something about that particular period that is making the houses more vulnerable?
Extremely dry soil conditions Lillana some parts in the west were the driest I have seen.
State wide, June was Victoria's driest June on record and we are also heading into El Nino.
Certainly could happen again we are in a long term rainfall deficit so a couple of dry years and the clay will be very dry again.
Moisture contents were lower than 12% in some places during the second halve of 2015, now the would be closer to 30%
Nothing will ruin your slab like a leaking sewer drain under the slab. Today I inspected for pre slab and found sewer waste loose and damaged by concreters. You would not pick it up unless you knew where to look. Luckily builder's plumber was around the corner and fixed it before I left.
Mee too , but also ome going through sewer lines as well, How do you fix it

Check out my blog

http://www.buildingexpert.net.au/blog/b ... egistered/
Just shocking, how the biggest purchase most will ever make is so easily butchered to so many.
It would be good to have a
BEFORE you build thread that could have advice that to most is simply not obvious, maybe in simple point form, most unfortunately just check displays, and then think, I'm done.
Their not thinking, inspector,
Learn, speak to previous customers, educate yourselves etc.

It probably would need to be top 5 topics, constantly, maybe closed even.

Just an update from my post in 2014, where I found and reported a severely dished slab on a house in Wyndham Vale. It seems my client sold the property.
New purchaser has just now found out he has a problem. When I asked whether they got pre purchase inspection the answer was yes, by a franchised inspector who did not pick up on severely dished slab.
This is the second time I came across franchised inspectors missing an elephant in the room. On a pre purchase inspection in Eltham they missed 50mm floor subsidence at rear of the house.
building-expert
Just an update from my post in 2014, where I found and reported a severely dished slab on a house in Wyndham Vale. It seems my client sold the property.
New purchaser has just now found out he has a problem. When I asked whether they got pre purchase inspection the answer was yes, by a franchised inspector who did not pick up on severely dished slab.
This is the second time I came across franchised inspectors missing an elephant in the room. On a pre purchase inspection in Eltham they missed 50mm floor subsidence at rear of the house.

If the seller was aware of that serious defect and sold the property without disclosing it they can be in a lot of legal hot water.
been reading a little bit on slab heave recently ever since i went on site and had a walk though neighboring houses already under construction in my estate funding a week of heavy rains. I noticed more than a few had no temp downpipes and pools of water a meter or 2 from the slabs while another builder had temp downpipes leading into the stormwater drains
I was encouraged by my building consultant to do my stormwater etc myself after handover to save money but now wondering if it was a mistake or if they still woudn't have used temporary downpipes. during a 5-6 month construction window thats potentially a lot of water draining into soil near the slab which i assume may increase risk of slab issues (soil in area is h2-d)
i guess the solution is to ask my site supervisor about putting in the stormwater as early as allowed on a weekend and putting my own temp downpipes in
with other recent developments that i did not anticipate im begining to wish i had done taken a lot more time for research before signing.
I've tended to use owner type inspectors who were all very experienced, similar in setup to building expert and found them knowledgeable and a eye for detail, trouble is some have barely enough qualifications and or experience and maybe not enough care factor.

Entilzha, I thought temporary downpipes were mandatory, maybe check and despite answer, demand them.

Joker my thought is if stormwater is being done after handover then there is nothign for temporary downpipes to be connected to anyway hence i am going to be asking if i can get access to the site to do my stormwater earlier in the build process

my exes new partner used to work as a building inspector and now works for the local council in the area im building in and he has offered to check on my build for me through out construction. but planning on getting a couple of more detailed inspections as well i think at certain points - just got to find one in the area that i like.
Related
21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

15/04/2024
AllCastle Homes has anyone built in 2023

Building A New House

Hi we are looking to talk to people who have built with them recently. We have signed mid range built contract but identified that a lot of things are not included.…

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum